This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Marvel has recently, and so graciously, released their newest film, Captain Marvel. To say I was excited to see it is an understatement. I mean, come on, another strong and independent superhero that’s a woman? SIGN. ME. UP. It’s truly amazing to know that young kids can grow up with powerful superheroes like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel, so it’s only appropriate to share the thoughts I had while watching the film!

1. “They teamed up with Aerie??”

One of the advertisements before the film started was a commercial for Aerie’s new Captain Marvel clothing line, and to be honest, it was great to see different women with different body types look amazing in what they were wearing. What better way to advertise strength, power, and being yourself than with one of the strongest superheroes ever? Aerie is a brand that I personally love because they are so inclusive and seeing this brought a smile to my face.

2. “STAN LEE?! UGH, MY HEART!”

The opening title of the film begins with a Stan Lee tribute, which probably left any super Marvel fan in tears. Stan Lee co-created the Marvel Universe and many of the characters we know and love today such as Spider-Man, Iron Man, and the Fantastic Four. His death in November impacted so many lives and his tribute at the beginning of the film brought even more meaning to film for all fans.

3. *GASP* “She hit an old lady!”

To be fair, the old lady was actually one of the shapeshifting aliens in the movie…but watching someone punch an old person in the face is always shocking. I mean, what if that was my grandma?! Either way, it was pretty cool to see Brie Larson kick some butt.

4. “SHE’S SO STRONG, I’M QUAKING!”

Throughout out the movie, we’re shown clips of her falling and being knocked down. In one particular scene where she’s struck down by the one person she trusted the most, we see the same clips of her at her worst points and standing up after those low moments. This scene was honestly so powerful and significant because the message was so clear: no matter how many times you get knocked down, you will always get up.

In its entirety, this film was not what I expected it to be. It was better. It was so different to see such a strong role held by a woman like Brie Larson, and it was even more surprising that her character wasn’t hypersexualized. We’ve been living in a world where women are constantly exploited through their looks. In Captain Marvel, we aren’t distracted or attracted to her by her looks, but by her personality, her acting, and how freaking awesome her character is. While Nick Fury’s character is just as important as the other roles, the toughest and most honorable characters are all women: Captain Marvel (Brie Larson), Maria Rambeau (Lashana Lynch), Dr. Wendy Lawson (Annette Bening), and Minn-Erva (Gemma Chan). I didn’t know what I would get out of this movie when I went to watch it, but I’m glad I can say that I have a new favorite superhero.

Eunice is a current student at TCNJ, and she majors in Communications Studies with minors in Marketing and Graphic Design. She has also been the Graphic Designer for HC TCNJ since Fall of 2018. Although she only has her phone to take photos, she loves to capture the world around her, and doesn't care if she has to stop in the middle of traffic to do so! Eunice is also a food lover and the occasional Netflix and Hulu binger, with her favorite shows right now being "Quantico" and "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" (She thinks she could totally be a cop or FBI agent). Eunice and many of her favorite photographs can be found on her Instagram account, @blasianchronicles or @eundesigns.
Maddi is the current President and Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a senior journalism student at The College of New Jersey who loves pugs, napping, and all things food.