This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Going back to school brings so many wonderful experiences each year- reuniting with friends, living (basically) on your own, and exploring extra curricular activities that TCNJ has to offer. On the downside, being back at school means we had to trade in delicious home cooked meals for less than average dining hall options. But, let’s at least be thankful that Eickhoff can do something right- and that something is dessert. Their options change daily and most days I can find something that looks relatively appealing. It can range from ice cream to donut holes and more often than not, they do not disappoint.

Like most human beings, I am an AVID fan of ice cream. Unfortunately, Eick only offers the standard of chocolate, vanilla, and or a chocolate/ vanilla twist, but I will take what I can get. In my opinion, the vanilla is too soupy to enjoy- from the time I dispense it to the time I walk back to my table it is already melting- that won’t stop me from eating it, obviously. But, the chocolate holds nicely for the perfect amount of time for me to enjoy. I am also a huge fan of the raspberry syrup smothered all over my ice cream- but that’s just me. So, I give the vanilla ice cream a 6/10 rating and the chocolate ice cream a 9/10 rating.

The most talked about dessert in Eick is without a doubt the chocolate chip cookies. And I can safely say that they are, only when they are fresh out of the oven and still soft and gooey. But, the hoards of hungry students who stand around the dessert counter and wait for any glimpse of a tray full of cookies coming out make it near impossible to get any. And once they cool down and harden, they just aren’t worth the hype. So, if you’re dying for some quality chocolate chip cookies, fight the masses and get them while they’re warm. In my opinion, warm cookies deserve a 10/10 rating, while cooled cookies rank at about 4/10.

Recently, I went outside my comfort zone of ice cream and cookies and tried some Jello. I figured that Jello was a simple dessert to make and that I was not going to be disappointed. Immediately I regretted my decision, because the Jello was not nearly refrigerated enough and there was an awkward, single strawberry preservative thrown into the mix. So, I sat and ate strawberry Jello soup as my dessert for the evening, upset over the fact that Eick had messed up Jello. The unfortunate Jello gets a ranking of a 1/10.

BUT, my faith in Eick was restored when I stepped outside my comfort zone and tried the “Chocolate Blueberry Yogurt Parfait.” It looked a little suspicious at first, but I was not let down. The cup was filled with chocolate syrup which was very surprising, but I am not about to complain. Also, the yogurt makes me feel that I am, somewhat, being healthy with my dessert decision, so what more could you want? The awesome Yogurt Parfait gets a 8/10.

Although Eick sometimes misses the mark with their dinner options, it’s dessert section is usually on point. I am a huge supporter of the basics, but they also offer some selections that cause people to go outside of their comfort zone. So take a chance on that weird looking dessert and I am sure it will satisfy your sweet tooth.

Maddi is the current President and Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a senior journalism student at The College of New Jersey who loves pugs, napping, and all things food.
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.