Eat Your Way to an A:The Smartest Pre-Test Breakfasts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

By Colleen Duncan

You wake up the morning of your final and immediately start last-minute cramming as many facts and definitions that can fit into your brain. The last thing on your mind is what you’re going to eat for breakfast this morning. But it actually should be the first, because the right breakfast could make or break you on test day.

Studies show that a balanced breakfast keeps students focused for longer during test taking than quick, sugary breakfasts. What’s the best morning meal? A mixture of protein, whole grain carbohydrates, and omega 3 fats.

So, before you reach for a handful of lucky charms and grab an energy drink from the fridge, read on for a list of combinations that will keep you at your best!

Eggs, whole-grain toast, and avocado. Why it works: Eggs are protein, which, according to Livestrong, helps maintain longer brain function and motivation. If you don’t have avocado, you could spread a spoonful of peanut butter onto your toast for the same healthy fats.

Oatmeal made with soymilk and topped with nuts and berries. Why it works: The carbohydrates in oatmeal are broken down slowly, giving you longer lasting energy. Made with soymilk and topped with nuts adds a boost of protein and the same brain-boosting omega 3’s you get from fish.

Alternatively: Mix in peanut butter and sliced bananas or diced apples.

If you’re strapped for time or aren’t a big-breakfast person, drink up! Blending up a protein smoothie with yogurt, fruit, and milk is a quick way to get your proteins. To get those slow carbs and omega threes, make a Peanut Butter Banana smoothie!

At the very least, grab a granola bar, but make sure it’s full of nuts and seeds, such as Kind Bars, and low in sugar. Sugar filled breakfast cereals, bars, and drinks give you energy at first, but make you crash soon after, which doesn’t help a collegiette during a final!

Hilarey Wojtowicz is a senior Journalism/Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. Hilarey works for TCNJ's Residential Education and Housing Department as a Community Advisor, but is truly aspiring to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. Not only does Hilarey love writing for her campus's chapter of Her Campus, but she enjoys writing about sports for local newspapers, as well. A true Jersey girl at heart, Hilarey is definitely not from the Boston area, but is a huge fan of the New England Patriots. You can find her interning in New York City this Fall at Woman's Day Magazine.