Life > Experiences

Dorm Room Desserts You NEED To Make For Valentines Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Valentine’s Day is all about love, and there’s no better way of saying “I love you”, than with a sweet treat for your sweetheart. College dorms aren’t always the ideal cooking environment, but there are plenty of desserts that can be made with just a microwave and a refrigerator. Forget spending an absurd amount of money on a box of chocolates that is only going to last a few minutes, and enjoy something made with love. From chocolate to strawberry, to vanilla, these are six dorm-friendly desserts you NEED to make this Valentine’s Day. 

Heart-Shaped Rice Krispie Treats

Heart-shaped desserts are super fun to make and always end up looking so cute. Just melt butter and marshmallows in your microwave and then add Rice Krispies. Make sure the Rice Krispies are fully integrated and stick together in the butter and marshmallow blend. Then, break off small pieces of the sticky and moldable mixture and form heart-shaped Rice Krispie Treats. Melt white chocolate and use red food coloring to turn it pink, and then drizzle the pink chocolate on top of the heart-shaped treats to top off the delicious and adorable desserts. 

Conversation Heart Bark

This Valentine’s Day twist on chocolate bark is sure to be a conversation starter. Pour melted semi-sweet chocolate on parchment paper and then spill some melted white chocolate on top. Then, use a toothpick to swirl the white chocolate around until a swirl pattern is formed. Finally, add conversation heart candies throughout the chocolate spread and refrigerate. You can break the bark into smaller pieces once it’s solidified and give pieces away that say “BE MINE” or “I LOVE YOU” to spread love through dessert. 

Chocolate Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches 

These ice cream sandwiches always hit the spot and are super quick and easy to make. All you need are some chocolate chip cookies and strawberry ice cream. You can snatch these ingredients from your dining hall’s bakery section and assemble the sandwiches on the spot. Just scoop strawberry ice cream onto a chocolate chip cookie and then place another cookie on top. If your dining hall only has vanilla ice cream, then you can chop up some strawberries and mix them into the vanilla ice cream for some DIY strawberry ice cream. 

Chocolate Covered Strawberries  

These classic Valentine’s Day treats are quick and easy to make. Just pop some chocolate into your microwave until it’s melted and then dip fresh strawberries into the liquid until they’re covered with chocolate. Place them on wax paper once they’re coated, and wait for the chocolate to harden. Then bite into the delicious, juicy, chocolate-covered berries and relish in the heavenly flavors.

Red Velvet Mug Cake

Not a strawberry fan? (Or maybe you are but are looking for something different.) A single-serve red velvet mug cake can be baked right in your microwave. This dessert has a short baking time, so you can enjoy it almost instantly after whipping it up. These mug cakes have a chocolate taste and a red aesthetic— both perfectly on theme. They will even make your room smell sweet and chocolatey!

Oreo Truffles

Oreo truffles are another simple treat, perfect for cookies and cream fanatics, which only require three ingredients. Just crush Oreos and add cream cheese to the crushed cookies until a giant cookie ball is formed. Refrigerate the mixture and melt some chocolate in the meantime. Then, remove the mixture from the refrigerator, roll it into smaller balls, and dip the balls into the liquid chocolate. You can glam up these sweets by topping them with more crushed Oreos, chocolate, or heart-shaped sprinkles. 

So this Valentine’s Day, ask your significant other to help you make these dorm room delights into a fun date night!

Isabella Darcy is a freshman at The College of New Jersey majoring in journalism and professional writing and minoring in creative writing. At the College, Isabella is a staff writer for the news section of the school newspaper. You can find her baking, listening to music, or hanging out with friends during her free time.