Don’t Let a Little Rain Ruin Your Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Living in New Jersey, we’re no strangers to rain – rainy days, rainy nights, full weeks of rain – but that doesn’t mean we’re friends of rain, either. It just seems like rain is constantly sabotaging us and our wardrobes. How many times have you woken up in the morning with the perfect outfit in mind, and then you look outside and see gray skies and sheets of rain? All of a sudden your vision of this great outfit vanishes as you reach for your sweats and your hoodie and pull your hair back into a ponytail.

But those gray, downcast skies don’t need to be reflected in what you wear! It’s time to snap out of your bad weather funk and make nice with rain. Let’s face it: rain is going to happen, so we might as well make the best of it and look good while doing so. Here’s how:

Rain boots:

These are a must. If you haven’t realized by now, after a few minutes of steady rain, the sidewalks and the areas in front of buildings are flooded. Nothing ruins your day quite like your favorite pair of shoes becoming sponges after wading through the five-inch deep pond outside of Eickhoff. Not only are rain boots practical, they are also adorable. Just think of them as one more accessory that you can use to express your personality. From plain to patterned, bargains to designers, there are enough varieties of rain boots out there to satisfy everyone.

Jeggings:
Now that you have your rain boots, you have the question of what bottoms to wear that will fit into them without uncomfortable bunching. The answer: jeggings. These are incredibly comfortable, and since they look just like jeans, you can wear any kind of top with them. And unlike with regular leggings, you don’t have to censor your shirts to find one that will fully cover your butt. This makes it so much easier to put together an outfit in the morning rush.

Hair: Natural Texture and Braids:
If you’re someone with perfect hair that is immune to humidity, then I salute you as well as envy you greatly. But for the rest of us mere mortals, all that moisture will ruin your perfectly straightened locks in less than a minute, so forego the straightener. Instead, embrace your natural texture (since it will wind up that way anyhow) by adding some mousse or hairspray to add definition without it looking messy. If you’re like me and have hair that frizzes no matter what you do, try braids to control it. Braiding the hair along your hairline can manage those pesky flyaways, while a complete French braid is a cute way to pull your hair back without sacrificing style.

Umbrellas:
This should be a given, but I do see people without them on rainy days. It’s so easy to carry a miniature umbrella in your bag at all times to be prepared for any surprise storm. Like rain boots, these come in many colorful patterns and designs that will brighten up those overcast skies. However, I have to issue a disclaimer: avoid the giant umbrellas that resemble more of a tent and could easily shield five people. These are inconvenient for anyone around you, as they will have to give you a very wide berth in order to ensure their own safety.

Now the next time you wake up to rain, just slip on your jeggings and your rain boots, add a quick braid to your hair, and you’re done! Grab your umbrella on the way out and you are fully prepared to tackle the day without the weather dampening your spirits. Maybe you’ll even look forward to rain so you can show off your awesome new style.