D.I.Y Urban Outfitter Dorm Items for Less

Urban Outfitters is the type of store you’ll go into and be lucky if you walk out spending $100 for three items. With everything usually being marked at $50 or more, it’s hard enough to pick from the clothes, but what if I told you they had a home department! Just like their clothing, the items in the home department could put a pretty big hole in your wallet. I’m not the most artistic person and I’m no Martha Stewart, but for some reason, I thought I could D.I.Y most of these items. 

It all started with some harmless internet shopping. I went on the Urban Outfitters home section of their website and a gold frame with polaroid pictures instantly got my attention. It was something really simple but too cute to not have. The only problem was that it was $34 dollars and had horrible reviews. Then I thought it’s a simple gold frame with polaroid pictures. I could make that! So I did, along with four other Urban Outfitters home items.  If I bought them from Urban Outfitters I would have had to pay $171.67 (including tax). Instead, I D.I.Yed all four items and only spent $55.90. Here is the list of items I D.I.Yed for less and how you can do the same. 

1. Gold frame with Polaroid

UB price: $39

D.I.Y: $10.00

All you have to do is get a gold frame from Walmart and put in some of your own mini polaroids. I used leftover fabric from the pillow I made and taped my mini polaroids onto the fabric to keep them in place. And wah-la! An almost exact replica of the item. If you want to make the exact same item I would suggest buying cardstock paper and using an Exacto knife to cut a place so you can put the mini polaroids in.

IMG Source- Diana Solano

2. Moon frame with lights

UB price: $34 

D.I.Y: $13.50 

This one was one of the trickiest because I took a chance and used gold wire, but saw that it was too thin so I intertwined the wire with gold ribbon. I purchased the gold wire and ribbon both from Jo-Ann. Then I put more gold wire over the ribbon so that the ribbon wouldn’t stick out. Finally, I intertwined the wire with the string lights that I got from Five Below and made a crescent moon. 

IMG Source- Diana Solano

3. Be nice or leave tapestry

UB price: $49

D.I.Y: $13.50 

I purchased the fabric from Jo-Ann in the home fabric section and got one yard worth of fabric for $10.00. Then, I got black fabric paint for originally $8.00, but if you download the app there are always coupons. The 50% off a regular priced item came in handy for this purchase. This item took the most time because I traced on the words with a pencil onto the fabric and tried to make them as similar as possible. Then I filled in the traced letters with the paint. I let it dry for 48 hours and then washed the tapestry as the directions instructed on the fabric paint bottle. 

IMG Source- Diana Solano

4. Pillow with winky face

UB price: $39

D.I.Y: $18.90 

For this item, I made sure to get a pillow insert that was 18 inches by 18inches which is the exact measurement of the one from UB. Then I laid the fabric out and measured two squares that were 20 by 20 inches. I did my best to draw the same face onto one of the squares I cut out from the fabric. I used the black fabric paint that I had leftover to draw on the face. Once it was done, I waited for the paint to dry and then washed the fabric. I sewed the two fabrics together from three sides of the square and then inserted the pillow. Finally, I finished by sewing the last side to close the pillow completely.

IMG Source- Diana Solano