DIY Decorations For Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Inspirational Frames: This project is cute and simple to add some color and uniqueness to your room, giving you motivation to take on those midterms and papers!

• First, go online and look up a quote that you like or write out your own quote on Microsoft Word, using your favorite colors & font (which is especially ideal if you know which colors are going to be central and present in your dorm). Once you have typed out or found the inspirational quote on your computer, print it out!
  • Now that you have your quote printed out, go to a store such as Target or Wal-Mart to find an 8 x 11 inch picture frame, preferably in a color that compliments that of the quote you’ve printed.
  • You may have to trim the edges of your quote with a pair of scissors to fit your frame, since most printer paper is 8.5×11 inches.
  • Once you’ve done that, you can slide your quote right in your frame and there you have it, a cute and inexpensive dorm decoration!

Refrigerator Magnets: A neat way to up-cycle your trash and make your dorm adorable while keeping up to date on important assignments for school and club reminders!

• What you’ll need: bottle cap, cute stickers or jewels, a quarter, scissors, a pencil, decorative paper (or Washi tape), glue, and a magnet. Nearly all of these items you can find laying around your dorm.
  • To begin, trace your quarter onto the back of your Washi tape or paper with a pencil, and cut the circle out with your scissors. Then, use glue to secure the cutout paper circle to the bottle cap.
  • Once finished, you can use anything you like to decorate the paper on inside the cap. I’ve used sequins, beads, gems, jewels, stickers, and even small seashells to decorate mine. Once you’ve finished decorating the inside of your magnet, you can peel off the backing of your magnet, and stick it onto the back of your cap.
  • Now that you have your magnet, let it dry for about an hour and use it on your fridge, magnet board, or anything you’d like.

Explore Jar: This is a jar for those days when you’re not lost in your whirlwind of homework and studies and find yourself with nothing to do. This has especially helped me my first few weeks of class, since I had not met anyone in my classes to become friends with, and wasn’t overloaded with schoolwork.

• You’ll need a glass jar, popsicle sticks, and a marker. You could also use glass rocks as a filler at the bottom.
  • Once you have your jar (you could even decorate a plastic cup of some sort and use that if you don’t have a jar) put your filler in the bottom of the jar, whether it be glass rocks, or sand, until a little under a quarter of your jar is full.
  • Now it is time to start thinking about things you’d eventually like to do on campus during the semester (like making a bucket list, but for college). Then, write each idea on a separate popsicle stick.
  • Once you’ve written out all of your ideas put them in the jar.
  • Now, whenever you’re bored, you can just pull out a popsicle stick as inspiration for something to do!
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.