Cold Weather Skin Care Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Although the weather has been fluctuating recently, there is no doubt that the remainder of the semester will bring colder days – but that doesn’t mean your skin should be impacted! Here are some skincare essentials that will keep you looking radiant no matter your skin type.

Moisturizer: One of the biggest mistakes I tend to make is forgetting to put a moisturizer on. In fact, during the summer I would even try to avoid it because I have combination skin that is both oily and dry. But as it gets colder, I’ve been noticing some dry spots appearing. This not only will not only make your skin look dull, but it will also provide an uneven makeup application if you wear foundation and concealer. You should always use moisturizer after your cleaner in the morning and before you go to sleep! Clinique makes moisturizers that range from super dry skin to very oily skin:

Under-eye Primers: When I used to work at Sephora, I was always told to try and sell higher-end under eye creams (even for college students). Although your under-eye skin will get drier in the colder months, applying a separate eye cream is not necessary before you put on your concealer. My best tip has always been to run your normal moisturizer under your eye, and then go over it with an eye primer. This will fill in drier patches and brighten up the darkness, so when you apply your concealer, less product will settle into lines or dry spots. I have went through three tubes of the Smashbox under-eye primer since I have entered college.

Sheet masks: These are very hyped up right now, and for a good reason. Sheet masks are packed with nutrients and are the perfect “pick me-up” for your skin as we transition into colder months. The now famous Korean skincare regimes consist of one daily sheet mask to provide suppleness no matter the skintone. The best part is that no matter your skincare needs, there is probably a sheet mask created for it. These Tony Moly sheet masks are sold at Sephora (2 for $7.50) but can also be purchased on amazon (11 face masks for $10). There are also under-eye sheet masks if you feel like that region is problematic during the colder months.  

Pore-Cleansing Masks: I was surprised when I found out that most people avoid pore care during the winter months because they assume it will only dry out their skin even more. In fact, your pores can get clogged from the buildup of moisturizer, foundations, and serums. Pore care is still an essential in winter, or else the rest of your beauty regime will not be as effective. You can opt for a softer pore treatment during the winter if you have already dry skin and then apply moisturizer after.

A Junior Biology major with side passions of coffee, fashion, makeup, and Netflix. 
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.