Circle of Compassion at TCNJ

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

What if I told you there’s a solution to that inescapable stress that you’re feeling? That there’s a group on campus that promotes compassion and acceptance towards others, and mindfulness in everyday life? It’s in the Spiritual Center, right beneath our noses: the Circle of Compassion.

The Circle of Compassion is a student-run organization that aspires to foster a sense of compassion here at TCNJ, and guide people to become more mindful. Every Monday evening at 7pm, the Circle holds vegan friendly (and insanely delicious!) dinners where students can have open, thought-provoking discussions in a welcoming space. Meet a few new faces, open your mind to new perspectives, and enjoy some healthy food while you’re at it. There are different topics for each month: February is preparing for healthy relationships, March is community, and April is the natural world.

Other programs offered by the Circle include daily mindful meditation sessions. These sessions, led by students, consist of a 10-15 minute guided meditation and a closing reflection. We understand that not everyone has meditated before and welcome beginners and the experienced alike! I’m very proud to say that I just became a meditation leader, so stop by for a moment to relax and breathe. You can catch me and my stellar partner, Raekwon, in the chapel on Thursdays at 7pm. Prepare to be zenned. There is at least one session every weekday, because we know everyone has different schedules. We hope to see you there!

Weekly meditations are as follows:

Mondays 7:30am – 8am and 6:30pm – 7pm

Tuesdays 11:30am -12pm

Wednesdays 7pm – 7:30pm

Thursdays 7pm – 7:30pm

The Circle is a place where any and all are welcome. We hope to see you there!

Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.