Celebrate this Holiday by Celebrating Your Loved Ones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Valentine’s Day, the only holiday that is solely associated with the celebration of romantic love, is just around the corner. Although it is typical to hear people say, “I hate Valentine’s Day,” it is nonetheless a holiday that can be celebrated by single girls, friends, couples, and even families. After all, it is the second most celebrated holiday in the world and I highly doubt that all of those people are couples.

First off, nobody has to hate Valentine’s Day. Even though all of the single people are reminded that they are indeed single, Valentine’s Day is the holiday to celebrate love. This doesn’t necessarily mean a boyfriend. You obviously love your friends, your family, and most importantly yourself. Celebrate this day with each of them in small ways.

If you are so inclined to just curl up on your bed and watch a sappy love movie and eat chocolate all alone, then go ahead! But there are happier alternatives too. Get a group of single friends together and watch it with them. Or better yet, watch a funny movie that takes your mind off of being boyfriend-less. An even better option that could be just as fun is going out to dinner with your friends. Get a ride to a restaurant off campus and get dressed up if you want to make the day extra special.

Even though we’re all college gals and our friends are lovely company, family is some of the best company on Valentine’s Day to have. If your friends are all with their boyfriends, call up your mom, dad or sibling who you probably haven’t seen since winter break. If they can, ask them to come visit you and take you somewhere nice for the holiday. It doesn’t have to be something romantic. You’re still spending your day with someone you love. And don’t feel like a loser if your Valentine’s date is your family. After all, my date is going to be my mom and I honestly wouldn’t want it to be anyone else!

But if you are so lucky as to have that special someone, then don’t hold back from doing all the cliché romantic Valentine’s Day traditions. Go to a fancy dinner, walk around Princeton together, or see a movie. If you don’t have access to anything outside of campus, don’t do the same old routine with your boyfriend. Order food to your room and watch a movie there. Just remember to take time to remind them of how special your relationship is.

The most important thing about Valentine’s Day is to make sure you remind all the people you love that you do love them. This isn’t just your boyfriend, but your friends and family too. Now I’m not necessarily saying you should walk into class and tell your professor that you love them. Just don’t lose sight of the fact that this day celebrates all kinds of love. You don’t have to dread this dayValentine’s Day, the only holiday that is solely associated with the celebration of romantic love, is just around the corner. Although it is typical to hear people say, “I hate Valentine’s Day,” it is nonetheless a holiday that can be celebrated by single girls, friends, couples, and even families. After all, it is the second most celebrated holiday in the world and I highly doubt that all of those people are couples.

The most important thing about Valentine’s Day is to make sure you remind all the people you love that you do love them. This isn’t just your boyfriend, but your friends and family too. Now I’m not necessarily saying you should walk into class and tell your professor that you love them. Just don’t lose sight of the fact that this day celebrates all kinds of love. You don’t have to dread this day! Celebrate this holiday by celebrating your loved ones.

Hilarey Wojtowicz is a senior Journalism/Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. Hilarey works for TCNJ's Residential Education and Housing Department as a Community Advisor, but is truly aspiring to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. Not only does Hilarey love writing for her campus's chapter of Her Campus, but she enjoys writing about sports for local newspapers, as well. A true Jersey girl at heart, Hilarey is definitely not from the Boston area, but is a huge fan of the New England Patriots. You can find her interning in New York City this Fall at Woman's Day Magazine.