Carianne D’Oriano: A Caring Director Among Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

With an infectious laugh that can travel for miles, a friendliness that can go unmatched, and the willingness and eagerness to help others, Carianne D’Oriano has proven herself to be a positive influence and true student leader.

This senior psychology major is the Director of the College Union Board (CUB) for the 2011-2012 school year and is always willing to guide, aid and put on memorable campus events.

Between CUB and her major, it is evident that D’Oriano loves providing assistance and seeing others happy. Her cheerfulness is contagious and her desire to see her peers just as jazzed, especially after a CUB event, is rewarding.

D’Oriano has planned many memorable events, including the 2010 fall concert featuring All Time Low, Plain White T’s, and MuteMath, the 2011 spring concert with LMFAO, Mike Posner, and Sam Adams, the Whitney Thompson lecture, the 2010 spring latenighter and a bus trip to Washington D.C.

“I remember standing in a crowd and looking at a packed Kendall Hall and seeing people go crazy,” she said in regard to the 2010 fall concert. “I thought that was really awesome.”

D’Oriano joined CUB as a freshman and was on the executive board by her sophomore year. She rose up to the Director position come senior year.

“It’s an awesome opportunity to be the face of CUB on campus,” she said.

As Director, she enjoys instructing and working with fellow CUB members. “I feel like I help people gain confidence,” she said. “It’s really cool to teach people how to do things and show them that they can plan a successful event.”

She believes CUB is a valuable asset to the college community. She said, “I just like helping people to realize that there’s other things to do on campus.”

Aside from CUB, D’Oriano has done both laboratory and independent research for her major. She sees that her aspirations to go to graduate school and become a guidance counselor and her work in CUB are intertwined.

“I like to help other people better themselves,” she said.

D’Oriano hopes that CUB will continue to provide memorable, entertaining events throughout the year and after she graduates.

“I want CUB to remember to think outside of the box,” she said. “I know we can make events that are truly awesome.”

So, what is D’Oriano’s dream event? She would love to have a giant music festival with a big-name artist and fun activities.

Basically, “Everything we do all in one event—and Beyoncé.”

D’Oriano continues to enjoy her time as CUB Director and is excited for the upcoming events this year.