Caitlyn Downie: A Rugby Captain Among Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

In her first semester at The College of New Jersey, Caitlyn Downie has already made her mark. The 20-year-old rugby player was recently elected captain of TCNJ’s club rugby team after just one season.

“My teammates believed that I had the right leadership qualities to lead them on the pitch,” Cait says. “It’s an honor.”

The energetic psychology major transferred from Brookdale Community College this semester after earning her associate’s degree.

She played on the Monmouth Renegades rugby team last year after gaining interest in the sport through a friend.

“I used to play soccer, but it wasn’t aggressive enough,” she says. “My friend started playing rugby at his college, which turned me onto the sport. Rugby is intense mentally and physically.

Cait says she likes to play fly half, which is the position that calls the plays during games, but she can also play all positions on the back line. In her new role as captain, Cait organizes practices and workouts for the team.

“I’m there for the girls,” she says. “We’re like a family. It’s not just about the sport, it’s about being together, being there for each other, and having fun.

Rugby is a club sport at TCNJ, which Cait says poses some problems for the team.

“We don’t have a coach, which changes the dynamics of the team,” she says.

Cait says it’s important to stay focused during warm-ups in order to have a successful game.

Off the field, Cait enjoys playing the guitar and working out. When she graduates next May, Cait says she plans to go to graduate school for clinical psychology.