Life > Experiences

Brisket in a Burrito? Heck Yeah! (Chipotle New Meat Review)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

A few days ago, I had my world rocked. Not by a person or a school assignment or a video, but by food: a burrito, to be precise. It all happened one late night when my sisters and I became quite hungry. There was literally nothing in the fridge to quickly make, and we did not feel like cooking something that would take forever to be done. We were throwing around different food places to order from, and some clever, intelligent individual (not me, sadly) brought up the idea to order from Chipotle. We’ve ordered from Chipotle before, and the experience was not as great. The food arrived late, and we were provided with the wrong order. When we called to tell them the order was wrong, the delivery person said they couldn’t come back to give us our correct food, and we went hungry for the rest of the day. Alright, that was an exaggeration, but we did get our money back and had to cook something from the freezer.

We were hesitant to order from Chipotle again because we were afraid we’d get burned and actually left hungry, but we swallowed our worries and ordered anyway. We were determined to have burritos and chips because, come on, Chipotle is the chef’s kiss. I put in the order and paid for it, then went downstairs to wait for the food that was supposed to have arrived in 30-40 minutes. I sat and did some homework while listening to my favorite Kpop songs, and I didn’t think anything of the fact that we were getting burritos in the next several minutes. The burritos from chipotle have always been considered good in my household, and I didn’t think anything could change that until that one late night.

After waiting for what felt like an eternity (because the delivery was late again), the delivery person finally rang the doorbell then hurried back into their car. As soon as they were about to pull off, I opened the door with my headphones still in my ear-blasting, Deja Vu by Ateez, and picked up the bag that was left in front of my door. My sisters came downstairs to see what was delivered and when they saw it was the food, their hungry stomachs finally felt at ease. As we took one burrito out at a time, seeing which one belonged to who, our mouths watered to have just a single bite into what felt like our first ever meal. The burritos weren’t labeled with which one was which, so we had to play a guessing game and hope that we got the ones we ordered. When I finally received my burrito, which I knew was mine since I’m the only one who likes corn in mine, I sat down in my comfortable seat at the dining table. I began to unwrap the burrito from the messy foil, and I saw my stuffed burrito facing me. I stared at the burrito without thinking much. I knew the burrito would be good as it always was, but I didn’t realize it would be anything less or more until that one late night.

After assessing the situation of what was probably going to happen between me and this loaded burrito, I picked it up with my two hands. I looked at both my sisters, who were down to half of their burritos by then, and closed my eyes. I took a bite out of the packed burrito. When I tell you fireworks went off inside my brain, fireworks literally went off inside my mind-blown brain. I suddenly opened my eyes and looked straight ahead at the white, dull wall. My heart began to beat faster, and my hands got a little sweaty as I began to think about what the heck had just happened. Did I just ingest the best burrito in my life, I felt while still having the jammed burrito in my hands. I couldn’t register the immediate satisfaction I just endured, so I took another bite to find more apparent evidence. Fireworks again, I took another bite, more fireworks, then another bite, triple the fireworks went off inside my head, and this went on and on until the last bite. I was confused about why this burrito, out of all the other burritos I have eaten, had such a significant impact on my tastebuds until it came to me. This burrito was different from the many burritos I have consumed throughout my years because this burrito contained… brisket!

When I think of brisket, I think of the meat that my mom used to prepare, which was cut up into thin slices and was served with mashed potatoes and white jasmine rice. I never thought of brisket being cut up into cubed-shaped portions and placed into a burrito. When I first saw the ad that Chipotle added brisket to its list of meats, I was surprised and actually thought chipotle was starting to serve full-on entrees like Boston Market. I was hesitant on wanting to try it. Still, I thought, I always get chicken, and I want to try something new, so when that fateful late-night approached with my hungry stomach taking over my rationality, I ordered my burrito with the meat choice of brisket. I didn’t have any high positive expectations, and I actually deep down thought this might make me not like burritos or brisket again if I combined these two things I felt as separate, but let me tell you all, the exact opposite happened. I will now detail the sensations and food combinations that really offset my mind to almost malfunction from food pleasure.

I usually get the white cheese, lettuce, corn, sour cream, black beans, white rice, and chicken in my burrito, but as you know, I got brisket instead this time. All these flavors mashed together freaking perfectly!!!! As I took a bite and crunched on the lettuce and corn, the juices from them filled my mouth in a fulfilling way. Then as the cheese started to get incorporated into the juices, the accented flavor turned the vegetable juices into more of a tangy sensation. Then the black beans and rice were mixed in and offset that tangy flavor into a flavorful mix of unique flavors that extended to sweet and savory. The sour cream added that essence of specialness and gave the unique flavors appetizing moisture. And don’t forget the main event, the chopped-up pieces of brisket offered that salty and seasoned taste of pure dopamine to not just my burrito but to my brain. All these flavors and sensations led me to consume one of the best burritos I have ever tasted in my life, and maybe I’m just hella extra, but God dang, it was so GOOD!

If I had to rate the new meat addition from Chipotle, I would give it 15 stars on the 5-star rating scale because it literally had me hooked on it, and I only get hooked on Kpop idols. This new meat brought me to write about it because I needed to tell someone and explicitly explain how rewarding it was to eat this burrito on that one late night. Please, if you want, go and try this new addition so that your hungry night can be fulfilled in the best way possible!

Maya McKelvey is currently a college student at The College of New Jersey where she studies Communication Studies and Professional Writing. Maya spends her time writing poems, short stories, scripts, and song lyrics. Maya also is well versed in dance which she has been doing for over 7 years. Maya is an open-minded person who believes in taking risks and chances. Maya is currently the Academic, Career, and Campus editor for The College of New Jersey's Her Campus chapter. Follow her if you'd like on snapchat and Instagram @y8awesome.