This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

SLAYED!!! Literally devoured!!! Ate the whole plate and left no crumbs!!! Oh, you must be wondering what left me in complete shock to the point where I had to use TikTok terminology to describe how fantastic that something is. Well, I’m just talking about Blackpink’s new album, which came out about a month ago and took over my Youtube, Spotify, and mind. This album indeed was the comeback of the year, the music Blinks (Blackpink fandom name) have been thirsting for, and the only thing that had kept me going for the past three weeks. Blackpink definitely outdid themselves and left me and everyone hungry for even more pretty savage content.

This album has been a well-anticipated album. Blackpink had been absent from dropping any content or songs for the past two years. Their last comeback was back in 2020, and then after that, there was nothing from them. The only ounce of Blackpink we saw was through pictures of them going to high-profile events and meeting different celebrities. The members of Blackpink were doing their own things and thus began the Blackpink drought. Though, we did get a solo debut from the lead rapper/ lead dancer/ sub vocalist, La Lisa, and the acting debut of Kim Jisoo, who is the lead vocalist and visual of the group. We also did receive content from Kim Jennie, who is the main rapper and lead vocalist. She has appeared in a new show, which is created by the Weeknd called “The Idol.” The fourth member, Rosé, who is the main vocalist and lead dancer, also was rocking the hearts of many as she appeared at many events and fashion shows. Even though we got all this solo content, the Blinks still had a hole in their heart that could only be filled by an amazing comeback from the four girls who rocked our world. After two long and boring years, the Blackpink drought finally ended, and we were gifted with the wonderful album “Born Pink.”

Pink Venom

The first song of the album is the much-appreciated “Pink Venom.” This song was released before the album was dropped, which gave Blinks a taste of how addicting this album was going to be. This song definitely gives the feel of Blackpink. It oozes out who Blackpink is, and who Blackpink will always be. I was a little unsure if I could fall in love with this song due to its sounding like their other songs, but once I listened to it again and again, I couldn’t help but keep it on replay. The bridge going into the chorus and the choreography are everything in this song. Each time I listen to it, I can’t help myself from doing the dance. This is one of the three songs that have a music video (MV), so watching them perform in this MV is definitely a plus. The outfits as well had me blown away. They all looked so good!! This song is certainly one heck of a start to their new album, and the next songs only got better and better from there.

Shut Down

OMIGOSH! I LOVE THIS SONG! The first time I heard it, I knew this song was going to be one of my absolute favorites from this album. The opening instrumental sound, followed by a groovy beat, sold this song for me. The instrumental of this song goes hard, and it’s not just the music that made me fall in love, but the message and vocals. Many people have interpreted this song in different ways. Some say it’s a disbandment song, and some say it’s not. I feel this song is Blackpink’s way of telling all the haters and all the people that think their fame is done, to sit the heck down. They’re shutting down the charts once again. They’re shutting down Kpop once again. They’re shutting down all the haters with this album. They’re saying they are not going anywhere, and they’re here to continue their reign. That’s how I interpret this wonderful song. Like Pink Venom, this song also had an MV, which again made me fall in love with it so much more. The choreography is sick! I can’t help but try to do the moves whenever the chorus plays. I love how they incorporated the slamming door sound every time they said: “shut down.” All the members slayed in this track and left me hungry for even more songs!

Typa Girl

If there’s a song on this album that anyone needs to listen to, it’s “Typa Girl.” The moment you start playing this song, it’s already deemed a bop. The music, the lyrics, the vocals, and the theme all combined together to make this song a force to be reckoned with. Definitely one of the top songs of this album. “Typa Girl” tells the story of four multi-talented, beautiful, smart, creative, fierce girls that can make any person change their type to them. These girls don’t take any mess, and they get what they want because they can. They’re the “type of girls you wish for when you blow the candles out.” They’re the “type of girls that you want to bring to your mama’s house.” They’re the “type of girls that drive you crazy, but still can’t leave them alone.” They’re “not like other girls at all.” Okay, yes I kind of started to recite the lyrics to this song, but it just shows you how stunning this song is. If I had to give you one song to check out, I would say “Typa Girl” because this song slayed and decayed all other songs. Though, “Typa Girl” isn’t the only song that slayed.

Yeah Yeah Yeah

After listening to “Typa Girl” and “Shut Down,” “Yeah Yeah Yeah” is definitely a refreshing song to help you wind down from all the fierce girl boss-ness. That’s not to say “Yeah Yeah Yeah” didn’t devour as well. This song gives me partying on-cloud-nine vibes with the dance beats and angelic vocals. If I ever find myself having a good day, I would play this song, and it would help me to feel even happier. Though the ending of the song was a little abrupt, I do still like to listen to it. If I one day start to float to the sky, I think “Yeah Yeah Yeah” would play as I ascend into the bright abyss above. I really like this song and each of its parts, just as I like the next couple of songs as well.

Hard To Love

Rosé. Rosé. Rosé. Rosé. Rosé. ROSÉ!! I have two words to describe this song, and they are Rosé ATE! She devoured this song, and I am all here for it. Words can not express how much I love this song! Rosé has one of the most unique and beautiful voices in all of Kpop. I love to hear her sing because of how powerful and amazing her vocals are. Her vocals and the music make this song a masterpiece! Definitely another top song in this album. Hard to Love is the only solo song in the album, and it showcases, once again, the outstanding talents of the members. I just can’t tell you enough how talented Rosé is without having you check her songs out. She had her solo debut a year ago with the song “On The Ground.” She also has other solo songs that will blow your mind. Please, please check out her music, so your life can be changed forever. Hard to Love is one of the many beautiful songs she has sung, and it’s one of the many songs that will always make me stop what I’m doing and rock out. While writing this, I had to take so many breaks to listen to this song, and just appreciate each part of it. As a matter of fact, I’m about to go listen to it again. 

The Happiest Girl

This is breathtakingly beautiful. If you are one of those people that like slower songs, this is the song for you. All of the songs before have been upbeat, but once we get to the sixth song of the album, we take a turn into feels town. Imagine one minute you’re rocking out, then the next minute you’re crying, well you don’t have to imagine that with “The Happiest Girl.” I love how this song displays each member’s vocals. Lisa and Jennie, who are the rappers in the group, gave us an excellent showcase of their vocals, which shows us just how talented these girls are. Another beautiful thing about this song is its theme. This girl who is pretending to be happy is pushing back the tears after going through something heartbreaking. She’s not going to let this person ruin her or make her feel like nothing. She will be the happiest girl in the world, even if she doesn’t feel happy inside. It’s so deep, and I love that! All the members did a great job on this track, and I will forever cherish this song. 

Tally

For some reason, I forgot how this song went, but when I played it, I realized why I used to play it over and over and over again. After “The Happiest Girl,” this song gives me life! This song gives off the vibes of “okay, I went through something horrible, but I’m not going to let anyone bring me down, so they can kiss my butt.” This girl is now going through the next phase of her life, where she doesn’t care anymore. She’s going to do what she wants with whoever she wants. She will not let anyone get in her way and she will remain that type of bad-a$$ Girl. I adore this song so much. It’s another upbeat song with great lyrics, vocals, and music. I highly recommend this song to anyone who is like the girl that Blackpink has been talking about. If you want to continue being your authentic self and being unapologetic about it, “Tally” summarizes it all for you. Again, the rappers of the group, Jennie and Lisa, give us amazing vocal moments, and Jisoo and Rosé slay with each part. Now that I have come back to listening to Born Pink, “Tally” will never again be forgotten. 

Ready For Love

We sadly reached the last song. Unlike the other songs in this album, “Ready For Love” gives off a different vibe to it. The other songs all talked about being that independent, powerful, unapologetic, forever wanted by many girl, but “Ready For Love” takes a step back from that. This girl finally healed herself from all the hardships she faced, and she’s finally ready to embrace the beautiful thing called Love. This song could feel like a different vibe because every time I think about it, I think of PUBG. You might be wondering why? Well, that’s because this song was another one that was released way before the album dropped, and it was a featured performance on the video game PUBG. The member actually performed this song on PUBG in a virtual form. It was amazing! There’s also a music video where the members are animated. The visuals are sick! Definitely check it out. Many people rank this song pretty low, but I really like this song. I like how they sing it, and the chorus is very catchy. I also like the concept of it. Though I guess I can understand why they rank it lower when they compare it to the other songs on the album, “Ready For Love” is a great song either way. All the members did a good job on this track, and the upbeat music is great. This girl is on her last journey in this album, and she is hoping for her happy ending. Something tells me she’ll get it because each of the members of Blackpink is a part of her. And with that, the album concludes.

After two years of no Blackpink as a group, we were allotted this album. Born Pink with all of its 8 songs was enough to last Blinks a whole other two years. Just kidding! Just kidding! Blackpink please do not leave us again for a long time! However, Born Pink is a great album and certainly blew me away. Even if you’re not into Kpop or not a fan of Blackpink, I highly think this album will change your life. I hope to see more from Blackpink, but for now, I’ll be consuming Born Pink for the next couple of months. 

Maya McKelvey is currently a college student at The College of New Jersey where she studies Communication Studies and Professional Writing. Maya spends her time writing poems, short stories, scripts, and song lyrics. Maya also is well versed in dance which she has been doing for over 7 years. Maya is an open-minded person who believes in taking risks and chances. Maya is currently the Academic, Career, and Campus editor for The College of New Jersey's Her Campus chapter. Follow her if you'd like on snapchat and Instagram @y8awesome.