This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Making over $500 million worldwide, breaking many records, and being one of the most talked about movies amongst all age groups, Black Panther is a must watch Marvel movie.

Black Panther is going toe to toe with movies like The Last Jedi and Jurassic World while being the first in its comic series, which makes it all the more impressive. With popular actors like Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyongo’o, Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out), Sterling K. Brown (This is Us), and many more amazing talents.

In the film, Boseman plays King T’Challa who is the leader of the African country of Wakanda. Wakanda happens to be a rich and technologically savvy place on Earth. King T’Challa is the Black Panther who wants to be able to help other African nations and fix all the wrongs of the past kings, including his own father. He uses vibranuim and heart shaped herbs for his enhanced powers.

Source

With a majority African American cast, it was refreshing to see them portray more than the stereotypes we see in other movies. This movie broke stereotypes of race and gender while also making political remarks of colonization and power. It showcases women as strong warriors and his entire army is a force of women. The film does a beautiful job of showing the different African tribes and their cultural practices through their clothing, chants, and practices. Additionally, the sound track is one that fits the movie and enhances the vibes. The film has a great balance between action, humor, and intensity that will keep you hooked the whole 2 hours!

If you haven’t already, do yourself a favor and go watch this movie; you won’t regret it! And, in the meantime, get ready for Black Panther 2!

Thumbnail Source

A current elementary education student at TCNJ. I have a passion for teaching, I love to write, watch TV, I'm a foodie and love anything related to fashion/beauty!
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.