This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

After over a year of only seeing our peers through a Zoom screen, navigating socialization in a COVID-era landscape might feel a bit awkward. Trying to make new friends, reacquainting ourselves with campus, and readjusting to in-person classes is too exhausting for us all to handle without any guidance. To make things a little less overwhelming, I’ve outlined some of my favorite hangout ideas at TCNJ that are at the perfect pace for new friendships. Whether it’s that friend-crush from one of your lectures, a neighbor on your residence hall floor, or someone you hit it off with in the Lib Caf, use any of these recommendations for fun and casual ways to get to know someone at The College.

1. Take a walk into Campus Town. Campus Town is the perfect walking distance from most buildings at TCNJ, and has an amazing selection of eateries to stop by. My personal favorites are Yummy Sushi and Redberry, which are great options for a casual lunch date. I also love going to Insomnia Cookies, which is an especially fun walk to do with a larger group of new friends (such as people in your residence hall or a study group that’s been working on a project waaaayyyyy too late into the night). It’s casual, delicious, and never disappoints.
  1. Ask if they want to go to check out an organization meeting with you. If you’re looking to get more involved on campus, but feel too intimidated to walk into a meeting all by yourself, ask someone if they want to go with you! For example: You’re in PSYCH101 with someone you have a friend-crush on. Coincidentally, you also want to get involved in the Psychology club. Use this as an excuse to ask this person if they want to check it out with you! If you already have a shared interest, chances are they’ll be down to stop by. You make a potential friend and further develop your sense of community on campus… win-win!
  1. Get food from Eick in to-go containers and picnic. With COVID, it can get to be a little hectic in Eick during peak meal times. If you don’t feel like spending extra money and have meal points to spare: go to Eick with a friend, a picnic blanket, and tupperware on hand. Pack up all of your food and take everything outside for a makeshift picnic on the Green! Not only does this let you get away from crowds, but it allows you to soak up the warm weather and sunshine while it’s still here with us. 
  1. Go to a CUB event together. College Union Board (CUB) is TCNJ’s primary programming organization, and they are constantly and relentlessly working toward hosting free events for students to have fun at. For example: in 2019, CUB invited grammy-award-winning Megan Thee Stallion to our campus for an absolute blast of a live performance. In 2021, CUB had Cody Ko and Noel Miller perform a hilarious virtual comedy show through Zoom. Aside from concerts and lectures, CUB also hosts overnight travel events, mid-day parties on the Green, and so many more amazing opportunities to have a good time. Ask someone if they’d like to go to a CUB event with you, and you’ll almost certainly get an enthusiastic yes. 
  1. Explore the greater Ewing area. If you’re in an adventurous mood, you’re in luck: TCNJ is just minutes away from some of New Jersey’s best day trip locations. Hop in a car and take a short ride over to Grounds for Sculpture (twelve minutes, to be exact). This is an absolute staple, and is definitely lots of fun to do as a new friend group or a few hang-outs to getting to know someone. If you’re down for a little longer of a trek, Princeton is also just a little less than 20 minutes away, and has endless activities. Go back-to-school shopping over at Urban Outfitters, check out some music at Princeton Record Exchange, or even just walk around and enjoy the sights!
Bella Trucco is a TCNJ student majoring in communication studies with minors in psychology & marketing. She has always been a big fan of pop culture, social justice, and the oxford comma.