burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Best and Worst Looks of the Met Gala 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

“Fashion’s biggest night out” has just ended and this year’s theme: camp!  A style that can be interpreted in many different ways, the Met Gala based their definition on Susan Sontag’s “Camp: Notes on Fashion”, an essay dedicated to the evolution of camp fashion.  Andrew Bolton, the man in charge of the Costume Institute at the Met calls it, “love of the unnatural, of artifice and exaggeration … style at the expense of content”. Essentially fashion that is over the top and unconventional; fashion for the sake of creativity, not preconceived notions of “looking good”.  Here is a take at what I believe to be the best and worst looks of the night based off of this definition.

Best Looks

IMG Source

Billy Porter

Extravagance was exuded by Billy Porter in what couldn’t even be summed up by the word “look”, but more performance.  Wearing The Blonds, he captured camp’s essence in the extra-ness of behaving as though he was an ancient god.

IMG Source

Lena Waithe

I love this look for it homage to the roots of camp founded in the black and LGBT communities.  Not only does the suit, designed by Pyer Moss, display the message that “black drag queens invented camp”, the very stitching on the pinstripes features lyrics of songs like “I’m Coming Out” and “I Will Survive”, and the buttons show these singers’ faces.

IMG Source

Janelle Monae

Wearing Alexandra Mandelkorn, Monae captured the surrealist side of camp with a dress turning her into an absurd face wearing a multitude of hats, and even featuring a winking eye!  The subtle but exaggerated details of this look is what pulls it into camp fashion.

IMG Source

Ashton Sanders

This look did exactly what one should do to a black tux to make it camp.  Designed by Telfar, this ensemble went back to early victorian camp with its long coat tail, knee length breeches, and bold collar.  

IMG Source

Ezra Miller

Capturing the unnatural behind camp,  Miller’s makeup, done by Mimi Choi, added another layer to his more simple pinstripe suit, done by Burberry.  His use of accessories, a mask and bedazzled corset, also showed the dedicated to details in camp.

IMG Source

Violet Chachki

Actually dressed as a classic black velvet glove, designed by Moschino and customized by Jeremy Scott, Chachki embodied camp’s notions of creativity and unconventionality by actually becoming an object.

IMG Source

Hailee Steinfeld

When I first saw this collection released, I was in awe of how perfect it would be for the Met Gala, so I was so excited to see it on the pink carpet.  Designed by Victor & Rolf, this dress’ colors and billowing puffy ruffles set the perfect backdrop for the ironic saying of “NO PICTURES PLEASE!” at one of the most photographed events.  

Worst Looks

IMG Source

Riley Keough

This dress, by Louis Vuitton, appeared more like something you would find at Forever21 than a camp event.  It’s design and collar being a basic everyday design, the only thing giving it a bit of absurdity being the silver color and mismatched belt.

IMG Source

Charlotte Casiraghi

Designed by Saint Laurent, this dress appears to be at the most an edgy prom dress.  It’s classic fit and monotone choice of all black lack excitement, its only nod to camp being its use of ruffles.

IMG Source

IMG Source

IMG Source

All the Men Who Wore Black Suits

The least camp of all, this section is dedicated to all the men who just decided to wear a black suit.  Camp is centered on being unconventional, and there is nothing more conventational than this played out look.  Offenders include Liam Hemsworth, Shawn Mendes, Richard Madden, Zac Posen, Joshua Kushner, Rami Malik, and many more.  

Emily is a sophomore physics major and computer science minor at The College of New Jersey.
Maddi is the current President and Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a senior journalism student at The College of New Jersey who loves pugs, napping, and all things food.