This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

For any new TCNJ Lions, here’s some advice on what to expect freshman year…

1. It’s okay to miss home: Maybe the first couple of days are all excitement, or maybe it doesn’t hit until you go home for Thanksgiving break. It happens at different times for each person, but it happens to everyone, and that’s okay.

2. Join Clubs: Not only is joining a club or two a great way to branch out or continue doing what you’re interested in, but it’s also a great way to meet friends, or get tips on classes to take and how to deal with certain professors.

3. It’s okay to ask for help: Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you’re confused on something. There are other people who are also stuck on the same thing. Use professor’s office hours. Those hours are there for you to get free help on whatever you need for class.

4. Take Pictures: You’ll want to remember all of the good times you have. Plus, your friends and family back home can see what you’ve been up to, if appropriate!

5. Work hard but still have fun: Balancing school with having any kind of social life or time with friends is hard at first, and it’s okay to take a break or relax every now and again.

6. You’ll need your parents more than ever: Not just for providing study snacks and money, but for providing you with guidance and their support. It may seem unbelievable at first, but you’ll miss them more than ever.

7. You’re meant to be where you are: You will most likely start to doubt your college. You won’t know why, but trust me, you are where you are for a reason.

Source

Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.