This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I first adopted a dog when I was in 7th grade. At the time, I didn’t think much of it – I just knew I wanted a second dog and wanted my parents to want one just as much as I did. They suggested we adopt since we had one adult dog already that we had raised since she was a puppy. So that’s what we did! And we got my awesome dog, Ellie. She’s a beautiful Border Collie & Shepherd Mix, and she was 1 and a half when we adopted her. 

Looking back now, I am so happy my family learned more about the world of pet adoption as it is SO important right now. 

Millions of dogs die every year in animal shelters. While puppy mills continue to run with unsafe conditions for the mothers, their only focus is producing more and more puppies that are adding to the population crisis within the animal world. Breeders also contribute by continuing to breed or participating in inbreeding that causes terrible health issues for the dogs later on in life. So, the next time you consider buying from a breeder or puppy store, please keep in mind these facts about rescuing dogs (or cats)!

So, I am here to tell you that not all dogs in animal shelters or rescues are those stereotypes you see on TV commercials. There are dogs of all breeds, ages, and sizes. Healthy dogs, dogs that need a little TLC, and overall, dogs that just need a loving home and sometimes a patient owner to help them transition.

I’ve used Petfinder and other animal searching apps that help people find the dog they are looking for at different rescues within their area. It is an amazing source if you want to learn more about the dogs that need help near you, and what kinds of dogs are available for adoption. 

I see many people claim they went to a breeder or pet store because they wanted a puppy. I totally understand wanting to raise a dog since they were a puppy or get a younger dog. While my family did adopt Ellie at 1 and a half, there were SO many puppies available for adoption as well. You’d be surprised at the number of people that will leave a box of puppies on the side of the road (I know :(). But, there are also thousands of puppies born to stray mothers, of those, are more dogs that will need loving homes. So, next time you are looking for a puppy, please look into these resources because they are available, despite what some people claim.

People will give up dogs for all kinds of reasons. Maybe they had little kids and they weren’t ready for the responsibility. Maybe the owner got sick and couldn’t take care of them anymore. Despite all of these, the point is that not every dog comes from a bad situation, and even if they did, that doesn’t make them unfit for your home. Dogs are resilient, patient (sometimes lol), and non-judgemental, so it is easy for them to transition into whatever home you can provide with them, but only with a little guidance and help from you.

Senior, Early Childhood/Special Education and English Major. 
President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!