Life > Academics

A Soundtrack to Summarize These Past 4 Years of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I won’t lie, but when the semester began at the end of January, I thought I would be a lot more emotional thinking about how this was going to be the last time I experienced all of this. No, I will not be torturing myself by going to grad school; undergrad was enough for me. But, I honestly did expect myself to feel, I don’t know, different from how I feel right now. Maybe I’m being a bit too harsh, and those feelings will actually come up towards the end of the semester when things are indeed coming to an end (God bless, I’m exhausted). 

So, while I don’t have a heartfelt way of summarizing what the past years have been like, I figured I would do what I do best, by my own standards. Don’t come here to judge me; I do not care. 

I present this soundtrack of songs that encompass the mess that the last four years have been! These songs were chosen based on playlists I’ve had in the last few years, and each song gives a general overview of how I’ve felt. (Except Juliet by LMNT…that one is just a fun song that has been constantly present and I needed to add it.)

Bem Longe Num Sonho Meu – Anjos
everythingoes – RM ft NELL
Curious – Hayley Kiyoko
Dis-Ease – BTS
Hundred – Khalid
needy – Ariana Grande
Where Am I At – MAX
Crush – David Archuleta
00:00 (Zero O’Clock) – BTS
NI DE TI NI DE NADIE – Becky G
UGH! – BTS
At My Worst – Pink Sweat$
Ending Scene – IU
Saudades – Calema
Chosen Family – Rina Sawayama
when the party’s over – Billie Eilish
hope ur ok – Olivia Rodrigo
Juliet – LMNT
 Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) – Green Day
Trust My Lonely – Alessia Cara

I know a lot of these songs aren’t what one would choose for their “coming of age” soundtrack, which I feel like a lot of college is supposed to be like. But, that wasn’t what my experience was. I certainly had good moments, and the semester itself isn’t over yet. Yet, I also only chose 20 songs, when I could have absolutely kept going.

Perhaps, this is just Vol. 1. 

A writer who's always in a crisis and probably eating fries.