9 Things Freshmen Should Do Their First Month at TCNJ

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Just arrived at TCNJ and not sure what you should do right away? Here’s some ideas!

1. Check out the Hot Spot. The hot spot is on the sidewalk between the Library and Green Hall (no, it is not a Wi-Fi hotspot). It’s perfect for sitting outside with friends and meeting new people.

2. Meet Eve in Eick. She is the nicest woman you will ever meet on campus, plus she’s always counting down the days until the weekend with a smile on her face, which always brightens your day!

3. Become familiar with Grub Hub’s website. Grub Hub will become your best friend during those dreaded snow days as well as during finals week for those late night snack cravings.

4. Download Yik -Yak. The app that everyone hates but can’t stop looking at; Yik -Yak is where you will hear all the hottest TCNJ rumors. 

5. Find your favorite study spot. Whether it’s the 4th floor of the library, your building’s own lounge, the lib café, or a bench by the lake, make sure you find a place where you can focus and get work done without getting distracted.

6. Take advantage of the tutoring center. Feeling stressed about some of your classes? Check out Roscoe West, which houses the tutoring center on campus.

7. Join Clubs/Organizations. The truth is you may get too excited and sign up for a dozen things, but you’ll find out what you want to stay involved in by the end of the year (you’ll probably still receive emails ‘til you graduate though)

8. Find a healthy way to reduce stress. Whether it’s hitting the gym, attending one of TCNJ’s yoga sessions and fitness classes, or playing a club/intramural a sport, staying active and reducing stress plays a key part in the lives of successful college students. 

9.  Be open to meeting new people. Your freshman floor-mates are not the only people you should talk to on- campus. Be open-minded and join a new club or try a new sport. Chances are you will meet new friends with similar interests, who will broaden your friend group.

Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.