8 Ways to Take a Break This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

We all need a break sometimes and as the semester begins to get more difficult, it is more important than ever to take some time for ourselves. We’re so close to Spring Break, but the weeks leading up to our week off can feel like they’re going by slower and slower. We all deserve a break before then, so here are some ways to take a break this semester and have fun while doing it! 

1. Go on a run or hike:

Exercise is a great way to escape the daily life stressors. Create an awesome playlist, pick a spot to run or hike, and go!

2. Start a new show on Netflix:

Starting a show might be dangerous because you won’t want to stop, but take a break from homework and treat yourself to an episode (or even two!). People have been raving about Stranger Things, Shameless, and even Bob’s Burgers.

3. Practice Mindful Meditation:

This is a great way to get your mind and body totally relaxed. Start with a five minute guided meditation (you can find them on YouTube) and then gradually increase the time when you become more comfortable with it.

4. Paint:

Painting is by far my favorite thing to do when I need a break. It is so relaxing and allows for your creativity to flow. I may not be the best artist, but I love the feeling I get when I paint a new piece!

5. Hang out with the people that make you laugh the most:

Laughter is so important, especially if you are super stressed! Go hang with the people that make you smile and laugh the most and try to forget about some of the more difficult things going through your mind.

6. Take a drive to somewhere you’ve never been:

Some great places to check out are Princeton (for ice cream at The Bent Spoon!), New Hope, and even Philly!

7. Go out to eat:

Take a walk over to Campus Town and eat some comfort food. It will make you feel so much better than the dining hall and it’s always fun to get dressed and go out to eat somewhere different! 

8. Read a book you’ve been dying to start:

I find it super difficult to read for fun in college, especially with all the books we have to read for class! If you have been dying to start a new book, do it! Take some time out of your day, read a chapter, and then go back to what you are working on. 

Photos by: Hannah Berenberg

TCNJ Senior Journalism major, Interactive Multimedia minor.