8 Throwback Songs That You and Your Besties Never Forgot the Lyrics to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I’ve complied a list of the top 10 throwback songs that are the best to blast and shout the lyrics to with your best friends. These are some songs that evoke the dancing feeling in everyone, and we guarantee that you never forgot the lyrics to.

1. “No Scrubs” by TLC

This is the song that for some reason we all know the words to, but never remember how we learned them: it’s simply a classic.

Source: Giphy

2. “Fergalicious” by Fergie

This is the song that taught us how to spell “delicious” and “tasty” without us even noticing. Also, this was by far the coolest music video of its time, so after watching it on repeat we all just knew the words.

Source: Giphy

3. “Leave” by Jojo

Of course, the most important one: the song for all our middle school heart aches. The heart wrenching feeling when your crush from math class didn’t like you back that only Jojo seemed to put into words.

Source: Giphy

4. “Pon Don Replay” by Rihanna

None of us probably even knew when “Pon Don Replay” meant, and frankly do we know now? This is easily the song that gets everyone in a good mood when it comes on: reminding us all of that time where low-rise jeans were somehow puled off by Rihanna.

Source: Giphy

5. “One, Two Step” by Ciara

“Automatic, supersonic, hip, naughty, funky fresh,” the words to live by — spoken to us by Ciara back in 2004, and still equally as important today.

Source: Giphy

6. “You Belong With Me” by Taylor Swift

Putting aside whatever feelings you may have about Swift now, it is undeniable this jam was the only thing getting you through all of your crushes at 13. Thanks Taylor for shining light on all the girls wearing t-shirts, not short skirts… and not being cheer captions, but instead sitting on the bleachers.

Source: Giphy

7. “7 Things” by Miley Cyrus

I never thought a song I heard at the age of 11 would be relevant to my dating life at the age of 20. Yet… here we are with this masterpiece Miley gifted us. Sweet nibblets, thanks Miles.

Source: Giphy

8. “Why Not” By Hilary Duff

It just felt wrong to leave Hilary Duff out of the list. This was probably the first song to ever encourage us to go ahead and take a crazy chance (or do a crazy dance) and I don’t know about you, but these are words I still aspire to live by today.

Source: Giphy

Cover Image Source: Illstrtd Flips

Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.