6 Princeton Eateries Students Should Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

There are countless eateries to explore in Princeton, NJ, covering a wide spectrum of cuisines and price ranges. Princeton is a great destination for a TCNJ student’s night out, just 20 short minutes from campus. Here is a breakdown of some must-stop spots in Princeton to grab everything from breakfast to dessert.

PJ’s Pancake House

$$, 3/5 stars on Yelp

A great comfort food stop on Nassau Street. The cozy spot embraces a menu filled with breakfast treats alongside Italian dinners, truly the best of both worlds. The walls and tables are ladened with artsy crayon scribbles that make the dining experience homey and comfortable. Favorite menu items include fresh strawberry and cannoli cream french toast, cheeseburger mac and cheese, and the unfortunately seasonal pumpkin pancakes and waffles.

Teresa Caffe

$$, 4/5 stars on TripAdvisor  

“Teresa’s” is a great pick for casual yet artisan Italian fare on Nassau Street, rated #10 out of 160 restaurants in Princeton on TripAdvisor. The modern-Italian eatery has a huge wrap-around bar for a drink after work or cozy tables for a relaxing dinner. “Teresa’s” does no-fuss favorites, like “polpetti” (meatballs) to share, unique pasta dishes like balsamic rigatoni, and personal pizzas, all with unbeatable Princeton finesse.

Winberie’s

$$, 3.5/5 stars on Yelp

If you’re looking for a casual bite of next-level bar food, check out “Winberie’s” in Palmer Square, right off of Nassau Street. The food is described by the Yelp community as “ideal hangover food,” with short rib grilled cheeses, Irish nachos, and cajun mac and cheese. The cozy atmosphere makes this a perfect college meetup spot at the bar during the late-night happy hour (10-12:30 a.m.)

Tortuga’s Mexican Village

$$, 4/5 stars on TripAdvisor

“Tortuga’s” is a raved-about Mexican restaurant in Princeton, and for good reason. Located a short distance away from Nassau Street, “Tortuga’s” is known for their authentic Mexican food (not your typical Tex-Mex or Chipotle deal) and fun atmosphere. The portions are huge, so be prepared to share delicious meals like enchiladas, quesadillas, and guacamole. TIP: “Tortuga’s” only takes cash, so be warned, though there is an ATM in house.

House of Cupcakes 

$, 4/5 stars on Yelp

Onto dessert! The winner of the Food Network’s Cupcake Wars in 2011, “House of Cupcakes” gained national attention for it’s delicious treats. They offer 35 flavors of cupcakes as well as seasonal flavors and other goodies, like cookies and whoopie pies. Customers love the unique, extensive flavor selection, like cappuccino and rainbow cookie cupcakes. 

the bent spoon

$, 4.5/5 stars on TripAdvisor

The shiniest gem of Nassau Street: “the bent spoon.” All other ice cream is unacceptable after discovering this itty-bitty spot in Palmer Square. With a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor and Best Ice Cream shop ratings from Buzzfeed and Travel and Leisure, “the bent spoon” is no novice at producing amazing ice cream, notably, their unique flavor combinations like lavender mascarpone, raspberry lemon thyme and New Jersey sweet corn. TIP: “the bent spoon” is cash only.

Enjoy the best eating around the Princeton area. 

Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.