This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

For many, it is a Thanksgiving tradition to go around the table and have each person name a few things they are thankful for, leaving the whole table feeling loved and appreciative. Why not bring those positive and grateful feelings to your everyday life? Here are five ways to show someone you appreciate them, whether it is your mom, best friend, roommate, or even your professor.

1. Handwritten Cards are my personal favorite way to show my appreciation for loved ones, as well as my favorite way to receive appreciation. Though gifts are always fun to give and receive, there is something special about knowing that someone took time out of their day to make a nice card and write a message inside, whether it is a quick note thanking them for helping you with a project, or a long message telling them how important they are in your life.

2. Active Listening and Words of Affirmation are great ways to show someone you care about them. This will make someone feel especially appreciated if they are going through a rough time, or just need to rant about their awful day. Kind words and open ears can do much more than you might expect; sometimes a listener is just what someone needs to feel understood, and a compliment can make someone’s day.

3. Food. Do I even need to explain this one? It could be as simple as buying your friend an Insomnia cookie, or as effortful as cooking your family a meal from scratch, but surprising people with food is a way to show appreciation that always works.

4. Small Acts of Kindness work especially well when you are around the person you want to appreciate often. Actions like doing all the dishes without your mom asking, taking out the trash in your dorm even though it is your roommate’s turn, or helping your friend study for a big test are great ways to show people you’re here for them. And hey, maybe they’ll even return the favor!

5. Just Telling Them! We often overthink ways to show people we are grateful for them, but sometimes simply telling them that they are important to you can be just as good as anything else on this list.

Jordan is a senior Psychology major and Women & Gender Studies minor at TCNJ, with an interest in becoming a clinical psychologist in the future. In her free time, she loves making lengthy spotify playlists, drawing, trying out new recipes, and rewatching the same 5 tv shows over and over.
Victoria is a senior at The College of New Jersey and a features editor for HCTCNJ.  She is majoring in Journalism and Professional Writing, and minoring in Marketing & Communications.