5 Things You Shouldn’t Have To Apologize For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

We all tend to apologize over unpopular decisions or when people try to peer-pressure you. There are some things you can apologize for: like forgetting to do the dishes if it’s your turn. However, these are some things that you don’t need to apologize for:

1. Not wearing makeup or being in sweats: You should never have to apologize for not wearing makeup. Even if you feel insecure without it. Same thing goes with sweats. We all have days where we don’t dress up and aren’t in the mood to go through our normal routine. Putting on makeup and looking nice shouldn’t be a public service – it should be something that makes you happy.
  2. Not wanting to get drunk/ drink/ make plans that involve alcohol: Many people don’t drink. It’s as simple as that. It could be because you want to focus on raising your GPA, watching your weight, or even have religious reasons. You shouldn’t have to apologize for not wanting to go out and get drunk. There are so many activities that you can do with your friends that don’t involve alcohol.
  3. Putting school before your friends: My professor my freshman year said “You’re a student first, a friend second.” He has a point. You’re in college to figure out what you want to do – that’s what your major is for. Some majors might require more studying than others. You shouldn’t apologize for not being able to go out with your friends every week. If you decided to put your career before short-term enjoyment- that’s okay.
  4. Hanging out with your family: A lot of people come to college and are under the assumption that they will be completely independent from their family and will only see them during breaks. It is okay for you to try and go home every couple of weekends to spend time with them. Going home for a lot of people helps them de-stress, plus they get a break from the TCNJ meal plans.
  5. Not wanting to date or go out with someone: We all have that friend who is constantly trying to hook you up with someone. The concept is simple: if you want to date, then go for it. But you shouldn’t have to apologize to a boy if you’re not ready to date. The time for that will come at some point, and you’ll know when you’re ready.

Thumbnail Source

A Junior Biology major with side passions of coffee, fashion, makeup, and Netflix. 
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.