5 Things I Tried and Loved this Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Though the weather outside was frightful and I missed TCNJ like crazy, winter break proved to be a productive, mindful month for me.

I’m convinced that I’m under a spell while at school, magically able to push through mass amounts of stress on only a bagel and two hours of sleep. I didn’t truly realize how drained I was until I was home, bored, and suddenly sluggish. Though I aimed to unwind, I also aimed to keep myself busy in a healthier way than I had during the fall semester and decided to give some things a try. Here are five standouts that I tried and loved during winter break.  

Image Source

1. Aromatherapy

Though I hate giving in to the latest and greatest crazes, aromatherapy has proven magical for me. I’ve dabbled in essential oil use for about a year now and always believed they worked for me, but I wanted to go even further. So, I bought a diffuser after Christmas, plugged it in next to my bed, and love blending oils to my liking to relax and calm my body down. My favorite blend is peppermint, lavender, and eucalyptus. If you’re looking for help unwinding or falling asleep, I highly recommend trying this out.

Here is the link to my diffuser. It changes colors, isn’t that the cutest thing?

SpaRoom PureMist Ultrasonic Diffuser, $19.99

Image Source

2. Lounge Clothes

This may not sound like a groundbreaking discovery, but this break I bought tons of new comfy clothes that I now live in. Here were my favorites:

Aerie PJ Jogger, $12

Aerie Tomgirl Lace-Up Bralette, $20.96

Calvin Klein Carousel Bralette, $11.97

Image Source

3. Music: DUA LIPA Deluxe Version by Dua Lipa

It’s been a minute since I tried out some new music. I’m very set on listening to the same The 1975 album from 2012 that I still love. But, my cousin recommended I listen to her new pop princess, Dua Lipa, and after I listened, I knew I had to recommend this album to as many more people as I could. If you’re into pop bops and catchy melodies, you won’t regret this listen.

Standout songs: Begging, IDGAF, Last Dance, and New Rules (obviously)

Image Source

4. Makeup/Skincare: LUSH Honey Trap Lip Balm, $10.95

With the “bomb cyclone” smashing New Jersey, my lips were toast. Luckily, Santa dropped this lip balm in my stocking, and I’ve been addicted ever since. It lasts on my lips for hours and it’s now a part of my all-time favorite lip balms.

Image Source

5. Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray, $32

This new addition to my makeup collection really does elongate the wear of foundation on my oily, problem skin. If it works for me, it surely will work for you too.

Cover Image Source

Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.