5 Reasons to Cut Your Hair This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

There are many things in this world that are both scary and exciting, terrifying yet tempting. Normally, we think of activities like sky-diving or bungee-jumping, things that are life-threatening but provoke a sense of freedom and invincibility. But so many small things can make us feel like this as well. For example, a haircut. (Okay, well a haircut is not technically life-threatening, but it can be scary!)           

For some, cutting off ten inches seems like a fantastic idea. For others, the salon chair is dreadful and the idea of one inch is adventurous and almost too much. But if you’re thinking of cutting your hair and yearning for the sense of liberation a new look will give you, here are some reasons why you should chop it off and try it out this summer.

1. It will make you feel free.

Cutting your hair is a guaranteed “free feeling” moment. Sometimes, you just want to feel different, like a new person. Changing up your hair is and a fantastic way to do this, especially since you don’t have to get a full makeover or abandon your morals to feels brand new.

2. A weight will be lifted off of your shoulders— figuratively and/or literally.

Much like making you feel free, cutting your hair can lift a figurative weight off of your shoulders. Maybe you’ve had a stressful semester, or a bad breakup, or a good breakup! Whatever the case, sometimes a haircut is what you need to make you feel like the pressure’s off and a new chapter is beginning. On the other hand, if you have really thick and long hair, cutting it can literally make you feel ten pounds lighter.

3. Short hair is ideal for the summer months

Let’s look at the logic: summer = warmer weather, and warmer weather = sweat. It doesn’t matter who you are if you work outside or inside or play sports during the summer, just going for a walk in the 90-degree heat is enough to make any sweat. Cutting your hair makes enduring these temperatures so much easier as there’s nothing laying on your neck and upper back. Plus, there’s the added bonus of avoiding the headache that 24/7 ponytails give. 4. Hair grows back.

Even if you have really long hair down to your waist, are super attached to it and extremely nervous cutting it into the bob of your dreams, the good thing to remember is that hair always grows back. At some point, you have to be brave and get the scissors out, because you could be missing out on the great feelings (see reasons 1-4) that come with a new ‘do. It always grows back, so you can return to your long locks.

5. You can do yourself and others a favor

If you do choose to cut your hair, more than just your hairdresser can reap the benefits of your new look. Cutting off the ends and regrowing is great for your hair- chances are it will grow back ten times healthier and stronger- especially if you’re getting rid of an old dye-job. Plus, by doing good by your hair, you can donate it and do good by someone who needs it.

So there you have it. If you have been toying with the idea of a new look for quite some time now but doubting yourself, hopefully what you have just read is enough to make you want to go out and get a free-spirited chop.

​Thumbnail credit: Pixabay

Olivia Grasing is a journalism student who aspires to work in the fashion/lifestyle industry.
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.