Style > Beauty

5 Products That Changed My Curly Hair Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Besides the occasional urge to get glam after staring at a computer screen all day, I haven’t had much of a reason to get “done up”. I usually like to keep things simple and natural whilst in lockdown. When I do choose to get done up, it usually involves me blow-drying my curly hair. 

This lockdown period has allowed me time to reflect on why being glam includes me changing my natural hair. I have come to the realization that my routine needs a bit of editing, and the first thing on the list is finding new ways to make my curly hair functional for me personally.

After a few months (or years rather) of researching, consulting, and testing–I have found 5 hair products that have completely flipped my curly-hair routine. Now that I have my process down pact, I will no longer consider straight hair as my only way to be glam! Here are the five products that are tried and true to my routine:

1. Botanika Beauty “The Stimulator” Oil Serum

I love to put this oil on my scalp and roots before I shampoo and condition my hair. Made with sage, cinnamon, and jojoba oil–this serum is not only calming but makes your scalp super silky.

1. Botanika Beauty The Definer Light Curl Cream

After I’ve applied the oil in the shower, I love to coat this cream on the ends of my hair and scrunch it upwards. I do not hold back with the amount of this product I use. It creates such a healthy and bouncy barrier for my natural hair. I also make sure my hair is drenched in water when applying.

1. Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Anti-Breakage Spray

Castor oil is amazing for hair growth and protection, and just a little bit of this on my hair from the roots to ends goes a long way. This spray almost has a clay texture to it but applies like a smooth cream. Plus it smells incredible!

1. Bumble and bumble Sumogel

I use this on my baby hairs and it keeps them down all day. Laying baby hairs can be especially tricky for me since my hair is fuzzy and sparse when dry. I apply a healthy amount on a toothbrush and carefully comb it through until I get the desired look and hold. 

1. OGX Coconut Miracle Penetrating Oil

I like to finish off with this on my ends. I also put a little bit on my hairline to moisturize the dryer areas. And just like that–my curly hair routine is finished off with a gorgeous coconut scent. 

I hope this routine gives you some insight, and motivates you to love your curls or whatever hair type you have. Your natural hair is 100% unique to you, so embrace it! 

Grace Reynoso is a Senior Communications Major with a Public/Mass Media track. She is originally from Ridgewood, New Jersey and has always been into all things beauty, fashion, and music! Grace also loves creating new looks on her makeup page and writing songs! Follow her on Instagram: @grace.reynoso, her makeup IG @glossbygracie_, and on Spotify: @urfriendgrace
Minji Kim

TCNJ '22

Minji is a senior English and Elementary Education major who is passionate about skincare, turtlenecks, and accurate book-to-movie adaptations.