3rd Annual NEDA Monologues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

This week is National Eating Disorder Awareness Week and all across the country, between February 26th and March 4th, events are being held to raise awareness about this life-threatening disease. Anorexia has the highest mortality rate of any mental illness, and 30 million Americans currently suffer from an eating disorder.  The goal of NEDA Week is to educate people about the severity of eating disorders, as well as the treatment options available to those who are suffering.

TCNJ did its part this past week to raise awareness about eating disorders.  On February 27th, CAPS Peer Educators presented the 3rd Annual NEDA Monologues.  TCNJ students gathered to hear eight brave young women talk about their battle with an eating disorder.  The purpose of this event was to provide a safe space for speakers to tell their story without fear of being judged.  According to one senior, speaking at the NEDA Monologues for the past two years has been one of the most cathartic experiences in her journey to recovery. 

As each woman spoke about her battle, the debilitating effects of having an eating disorder became evident. Several of these women spoke about how they developed the disease during adolescence, as well as their various hospitalizations throughout the recovery process.  Hearing about the struggle to maintain a healthy body image after years of battling the disease was heartbreaking. 

Despite the serious nature of the event, each courageous speaker remained optimistic and shared her hopes for the future.  One young woman ended her monolog by saying, “I’m getting stronger, and I do love myself and I do think I’m beautiful.”  The overarching theme of the night was that recovery is possible.  Education and promoting a positive body image play a huge role in bringing awareness to this life threatening disease.  As a society, it’s crucial to end the stigma of what an eating disorder looks like.     

NEDA Week ends March 4th, visit this website to find other events going on in your area http://nedawareness.org/get-involved/events/find-an-event

Victoria is a senior at The College of New Jersey and a features editor for HCTCNJ.  She is majoring in Journalism and Professional Writing, and minoring in Marketing & Communications.   
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.