3 Reasons it’s Better to Be Single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Don’t you kind of miss those Valentine’s Day parties in elementary school where you would walk around and put little valentines in everyone’s handcrafted mailboxes taped to their desks? You would come home with bags of chocolate and candy, and it was still okay to call your mom your only valentine.

Unfortunately, being single on Valentines Day in college isn’t quite like that. But, don’t worry, there are still a few things to look forward to!

Overall, you benefit from being single. 

The money you would’ve spent on your S/O, you can now either save, or spend on yourself.  ;)

Who said you needed to be in a relationship to eat those delicious heart-shaped Reeses? Treat yourself, you most definitely deserve it!

You don’t need to experience that “forced, awkward date.”

As a waitress, I’ve seen plenty of these. Whether you’ve been dating for a week, or a year, almost all couples go out to dinner on Valentine’s Day. Wouldn’t you rather wear sweatpants, no makeup, no bra and just watch a movie by yourself (or with your cat)? I know I would.

Single’s Party!

Gather some of your closest single girlfriends, and throw a party! Drink wine, eat chocolate or even go to the movies to see 50 Shades of Grey. Just because you’re single doesn’t mean you have to spend Valentine’s Day alone…make the most of it!

Don’t let those lovey dovey couples make you feel like you’re missing out on something. It’s time to embrace your independence and those heart-shaped Reeses. Remember that despite your single relationship status, Valentine’s Day is still all about love – so love yourself…and your cat.