3 Organizations Leonardo DiCaprio Cares More About Than His Oscar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

A few days ago the world as we know it changed forever. Well, maybe not for Leonard DiCaprio. The FINALLY Oscar winning actor brought home the golden trophy this past Sunday, and with it an outcry of joy from the internet community that has been campaigning for a DiCaprio Oscar win for years now. However, the character actor showed his true character Sunday night when he completely ignored the media buzz surrounding his Oscar nomination, and dedicated his whole acceptance speech to climate change. He took the time allotted to tell the world that climate change is real, saying “It is the most urgent threat facing our entire species and we need to work collectively together and stop procrastinating.” So, here is a list of three organizations you’re more likely to hear DiCaprio talk about then his Oscar win.

Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation

In this case, naming something after yourself isn’t too self-centered. DiCaprio has created his own foundation that supports and protects “vulnerable wildlife from extinction, while restoring balance to threatened ecosystems and communities.” The organization has started over 70 projects around the world in over 40 countries attacking the former mentioned problems. 

World Wildlife Fund

The WWF is the leading organization in wildlife conservation and endangered species. DiCaprio is currently on its Board of Directors, who are responsible for the “policies, programs and direction of World Wildlife Fund and provides advice and counsel on a broad range of policy and operational matters.”

Cinema for Peace

This event is used to “promote peace and international understanding through the medium of film” according to its website, and presents an award to a director who focuses on the human condition and values. Of course DiCaprio is listed as one of the 26 celebrity supporters of this organization.

Hey Leo, thanks for not pulling a Rose and never letting go of your convictions.

My name is Kaitlyn Njoroge and I am a Sophomore Journalism/ Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. I have experience in online and print writing, and am looking to intern this summer or next year at a magazine or broadcast company. The only word that rhymes with my last name is pierogi, which isn't as fun as it seems because it's my least favorite food in the world. Also, if anyone is interested in reading my posts geared towards feminism, you can also check out my blog at kaitlynnjoroge.wordpress.com
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.