concert with light blue confetti falling down
Original photo by Jenna Rittman

3/17 Muse Concert Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

During spring break, I and my friends decided to go last-minute to the Muse concert in Madison Square Garden on March 17th. Even though it was a very last-minute decision, it was a really fun experience, and we also got to see some cool openers open for Muse.

The three of us ended up getting the same Muse poster. I wanted one of the Evanescence jackets they had there, but it was around $80, and in the end, I realized it wasn’t really worth it. The Muse poster is super cool, though, so I was happy about that.

When we got to the section we were sitting in, we lowkey didn’t entirely know where we were supposed to be sitting, so for the time being, we just sat in some random seats. This would come back to stab us in the back later, but I’ll get to that part in a little bit.

The first opener was One Ok Rock, a Japanese rock band. They had good energy throughout their entire performance, and performed songs such as “Save Yourself,” “Neon,” and “Your Tears Are Mine.” I loved their sound and the songs they performed, and I definitely will check out their music more from now on. You can find their entire setlist played tonight here.

The next opener for the night was Evanescence, a rock band that was super influential in the 90s and early 2000s. I remember that I used to listen to them when I was in middle school, so I was excited to see them. They performed songs such as “Going Under,” “End of the Dream,” “Imaginary,” and the iconic “Bring Me to Life.” Amy Lee’s vocals sound amazing in their songs, but they sound even better when she performs live. You can find their entire setlist played tonight here.

Halfway through Evanescence’s opener, I and my friends may have gotten kicked out of our seats. The guys who were sitting beside us ended up complaining that we were in their seats, and I and my friends think that they thought we took them on purpose. When we finally found our actual seats, which were bar seats, we realized that there were people already sitting in them.

Instead of confronting these people, we decided to talk to security about it. After talking to security, we ended up actually getting our tickets upgraded for free. We went from being in section 300 (basically nosebleed seats) to section 100 (floor seats). So even though we got kicked out of our seats, it ended up turning out to be a good thing.

Then, it was finally time for Muse to perform! I was super excited to watch them perform because I was obsessed with their song “Supermassive Black Hole” after watching Twilight too much as a kid. I also ended up listening to more of their music during my freshman year of college.

They started off their set with the song “Will of the People” from their new album of the same name, which was released in August 2022. I personally wasn’t a big fan of this album, but there were some songs that I liked from the album, such as “Won’t Stand Down,” “You Make Me Feel Like It’s Halloween,” and “Verona.” Nonetheless, I feel like this was a good song to start off their concert with.

They also performed some of their better-known songs, such as “Hysteria,” “Psycho,” “Time Is Running Out,” “Madness,” “Supermassive Black Hole,” “Plug In Baby,” “Uprising,” “Starlight,” and “Knights of Cydonia.” I was super hyped up when they played “Plug In Baby” because I know how to play that song on the guitar! You can find their entire setlist played tonight here.

They also had some super cool props on stage, and Matt Bellamy even performed one of their songs on one of the props! There was also confetti raining down at us at some points, where my friends and I did our best to collect some as a souvenir of our time here. 

Overall, it was an amazing experience getting to see them live, and I’m super happy I decided to go see them last minute with my friends. I would recommend anyone who is a fan of Muse to go see them live at least once in their life!

Jenna is a Junior at TCNJ and is a Journalism/Professional Writing and Communication Studies Major. She goes by She/They pronouns. Their hobbies consist of playing the violin, playing the guitar, writing, and reading.