jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

20 Alternative Songs I’m Loving Right Now!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

There’s something about the fall that really brings out my love for alternative/indie music. I’m not sure if it’s the weather cooling or the days becoming shorter, but something draws me to this genre of music during this time of the year. So here are twenty alternative/indie/surf rock songs that I have been really loving right now!

1. Undertow by Dan Auerbach 

I’m OBSESSED with song right now. I have to cool it or I’m going to get so sick of it, but it’s such a bop. It gives 70s vibes and makes me feel nostalgic for some reason. I highly recommend you give this song a listen!

IMG Source

2. Think About You (All the Time) by Cold Fronts

Warning: this song will get stuck in your head and your roommates are going to hate you for also getting it stuck in theirs. This song is about falling for someone and thinking about them all the time and Cold Fronts masterfully captured that by creating a super catchy song that also gets stuck in your head! IMG Source

3. For Elise by Saint Motel

This song has it’s own take to Ludwig van Beethoven’s “Für Elise.” In Beethoven’s work, he dedicated his work to his muse (Elise) and Saint Motel does the same thing by dedicating this song to their muse of their genre of music. Not only does it have this unique background info, but it’s also has a captivating tune. I also suggest Sweet Talk by Saint Motel, another awesome song!

IMG Source

4. Krawn the Destroyer by Sexy Girls 

Sexy Girls is a four person band from Amherst, MA. There really isn’t much information about them on the internet, which makes me like them even more. This band seems to like to break norms, from songs that are over six minutes to having very little presence online, they are definitely out there. This song gives off really chill/calming vibes and it’s a great song to listen to when you’re winding down. 

IMG Source

5. Vanilla by Flipturn

This song has the perfect combination of both pop and indie sound. I really love this band and I highly suggest checking out all their music! 

IMG Source

6. Marceline by Vista Kicks 

You can’t do wrong with Vista Kicks, they have so many great songs. I really tried to keep all the songs on this list to be from different artists, but there’s definitely too many good ones by them to only choose one!

IMG Source

7. Why Do You Feel So Down by Declan McKenna

I think this song is officially classified as britpop, but it’s so catchy that I had to include it! The lyrics are so relatable and definitely deserves a listen!

IMG Source

8. Mom Jeans by Heyrocco

Ahh this song really hits me in the feels. It has a very nostalgic feeling to it that I think a lot of people can relate to. I personally love sad/sappy songs that aren’t super slow and have a great tune. So if that’s your vibe, I highly suggest this song! 

IMG Source

9. So Long by Abhi The Nomad

I LOVE the tune of this song, and I especially love the trumpets. Abhi The Nomad says that this song is all about learning how to love yourself, which I think everyone can benefit from! 

IMG Source

10. Way It Goes by Hippo Campus

The harmonies in this song are insane and the lyrics are so down to earth. This song is very audibly appealing and my current mellow anthem. This song is a must hear!

IMG Source

11. Gotta Get Away by Vista Kicks 

Another song that will get it’s tune stuck in your head! My favorite part of the song is the upbeat drums, it creates a dreamlike feel that definitely caught my attention and hooked me from the start!

IMG Source

12. Electric U by Kid Bloom

Heavy disco vibes in this song (which I love)! There’s an infectious groove of disco that makes you feel like you’re listening to a tune from the 70s!

IMG Source

13. Simple Words by Diners

This song is just a nice mellow feel good song. The words are so sweet and makes you wish that someone would sing it to you! The guitar is by far my favorite part of the song!

IMG Source

14. Brian Wilson Is My Dad by Breakup Shoes

The opening tune is what automatically drew me into this song. But after listening to the lyrics, I can confidently say that’s my favorite part of the song. Definitely worth the listen! 

IMG Source

15. Coax and Botany by Gus Dapperton

I highly suggest all of Gus Dapperton’s music because it’s all such a bop. I really love unique sound and lyrics, which can be found in all of his songs.

IMG Source

16. Out of My League by Fitz and The Tantrums

This song makes me wanna dance! It’s very captivating and has been on repeat all fall long!

IMG Source

17. Brazil by Declan Mckenna 

Another britpop song, but it’s so catchy. Although these are supposed to be my favorite songs for the fall, it has strong summer vibes. Which makes me miss summer and think about beautiful brazilan beaches, even when it’s dark at five pm.

IMG Source

18. Corduroy Dreams by Rex Orange County 

Honestly all of Rex Orange County’s songs are amazing but this is my current fall favorite. The song follows an unrealistic teenage relationship and his desire to pretend he’s not aware of it’s inevitable end. It has a very nostalgic vibe to it and I highly suggest you check it out!

IMG Source

19. See me on the outside! by mmmonika

I guess I’m really into songs that stuck in your head because this is another catchy tune that you’ll find yourself humming all day long! 

IMG Source

20. All These Things That I’ve Done by The Killers

The Killers always pumps me up and this song does specifically that! I saw them perform this live and it definitely lived up to all my expectations!

IMG Source

Here are the twenty songs that I have been loving the past few months. They’re all available on spotify if you want to check them out. Here’s my shameless plug for my spotify playlist, you can find all these songs and more there!

President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!