12 Reasons Why Central Jersey is the Best Jersey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

To all the people who divide New Jersey into solely North and South Jersey: we need to clear a few things up. Central Jersey does exist, and it just so happens to be the best part of the Garden State. If you’ve been a longtime resident of this great state, then you are well aware of the rivalry and abundance of differences between the North and the South, but here are 12 reasons why Central Jersey is better than North or South Jersey.

1. History

Many NJ towns have a prominent historic past, but Central NJ is especially rich in its cultural background. The state’s capitol, Trenton, is located here and was very important as it marked the turning point of the Revolutionary War in 1776. Without good ‘ol Trenton, we just might be speaking with British accents right about now.

2. The Shore

All you have to say in the midst of the summer heat is “I’m going down the shore” and everyone will know exactly what you mean. New Jersey has 130 miles of sandy beaches lining the state and Central Jersey is smack dab in the middle of it, making day trips more than possible.

3. Diners

Nothing is better than a late night diner run to a place that is open 24 hours a day and whose menu encompasses just about anything you could possibly crave. These are not a rarity as New Jersey has the most diners in the world and Central NJ has some of the best.

4. Top Colleges

Central NJ houses a few of the highest ranked colleges in the state: Princeton, the College of New Jersey, Rutgers, Monmouth University, and Rider University, home to some of the smartest students in the state!

5. Every Girl’s Dream: Shopping

Residents of Central Jersey will never be at a loss for going over their credit card limits as we have seven major malls, three outlets, and many other little shops scattered throughout.

6. The Delaware River

Another attraction is the 330-mile river where tubing is a popular attraction in the summer (of course not the entire 330 miles), but visiting the famous river hot dog man while floating in an inner tube makes for an adventurous day.

7. Cupcakes Heaven

If your mouth is ever watering for specialty cupcakes such as chocolate brownie cheesecake, pinna colada, or peanut butter cookie dough, head to Princeton where House of Cupcakes is located. This popular local business won Food Network’s Cupcake Wars and with good reason.

8. Prime Location

If you’re up for a visit to the city that never sleeps, New York City is simply a train ride away. If you’re craving a late-night cheesesteak, Philly is just as close. Talk about the best of both worlds.

9. Famous Musicians

Two great legends, Bon Jovi And Bruce Springsteen, both originated here. Bon Jovi used to call Sayreville home, while Bruce Springsteen grew up in Freehold Borough. Both launched their careers by playing at the Stone Pony, a famous venue located in Asbury Park.

10. Small Towns

One of the best kept secrets of Central Jersey are its tiny towns filled with classic homes, quaint boutiques, family-owned eateries, and tree-lined streets to walk down. These hidden gems are: Allentown, Cranbury, and Spring Lake.

11.  Area Codes/Exit Numbers

This might be one of the few places where people identify with one another based on zip codes; 609, 732, and 908 are some of the most talked about. When you meet someone, you can easily know where they live simply by asking what exit they are off of the parkway. Who would have thought numbers could be so helpful!

12. Breakfast Meat

Whether you want to call it Taylor ham or pork roll- that is up to you. Despite the never-ending debate, this famous and delicious breakfast meat was invented in Central Jersey.

North Jerseyans will order Taylor ham and root for the Giants, while South Jerseyans call it pork roll and cheer on the Eagles. In the midst of these barriers lies Central Jersey, where it is up its residents to decide these highly controversial topics for themselves. But no matter what they end up deciding, a true Central New Jerseyan knows that their hometown is truly the best.

Sophomore studying Journalism and Pre-Law from Hamilton, New Jersey
TCNJ Senior Journalism major, Interactive Multimedia minor.