yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

10 Movies to Lift Your Halloween Spirits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

1. Hocus Pocus

Image Source

Hocus Pocus is by far my all-time favorite Halloween movie. This movie is ageless. It is the first movie I think of when I think of October and Halloween and will fill your taste of witches and HOCUS POCUS. Not to mention that it has Sarah Jessica Parker and Bette Midler (what else could you ask for!?) and the fact that some of the places in the movie can ACTUALLY be found in Salem. It is the perfect Halloween tale that includes witchcraft.

2. The Silence of the Lambs

Image Source

Though this movie is not necessarily based around Halloween, it is the perfect movie to give you a good spook. I’m not a fan of thrillers, but this movie had me enamored and eclipsed throughout its entirety. Just watching the movie and seeing where it’s based will leave you feeling in a fall mood. The time of the setting will no doubt have you thinking of a good fall, October film.

3. Halloweentown

Image Source

While this film might be a Disney classic, it’s a CLASSIC. How can you not be in love with the reminiscent feeling it gives you when you watch such a film that you first watched when you were in elementary school. All of the costumes and creatures come to life and you get to witness all of the magic unfold. I call this movie a win-win with a spice of Halloween trickery.

4. The Nightmare Before Christmas

Image Source

This animated story has over the years become one of my favorite movies to snuggle up and watch under a nice cuddly blanket while sipping a hot cup of apple cider. The depth and uniqueness behind each character and the storyline adds to an amazing Halloween tale that not only suits Halloween, but also Christmas. You can NEVER go wrong with Tim Burton!

5. The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Image Source

Get ready to do the Time Warp!! While upon first viewing, this movie might be very confusing and weird, this movie has been a staple in so many people’s lives and has been acted out time and time again (by our very own theatre company, to say the least!). Rather than being confused, watch this movie and appreciate it for everything it is! The confusion and spontaneity of the film will leave you with a feeling you didn’t quite think you were looking for.

6. Beetlejuice

Image Source- Warner Bros.

I recently watched this movie for the VERY first time a few days ago but always remembered people talking about it and constantly referencing it throughout the years. The storyline has so many layers to it while also being entertaining and a fun movie to watch. I definitely would recommend this movie to anyone and everyone of any age. It has a vintage feel while also making you instantly get into the mood of spooky season.

7. Coraline

Image Source- Amazon 

This movie is also another Tim Burton classic. Most of the classic/renown Halloween movies are mostly linked back to Tim Burton and it goes without questioning as to why. Most, if not all, of his movies are extremely well made and have such interesting and layered storylines. When I was younger, I was extremely creeped out by his movies regardless of the fact that they were animated. In Coraline, this movie definitely goes down as one that you can watch anytime throughout the year, but it perfectly fits with the Halloween feel of the fall season.

8. The Addams Family

Image Source- Paramount

The Addams family is a STAPLE in my Halloween traditions. I absolutely love rewatching both the Addams Family and the Addams Family Values movies because I can never have enough of the spooktacular family. Never have we ever seen such an iconic family and movie that could easily make an appearance again in any other time of the year while also feeling indifferent about watching it. After being raised on this movie, Wednesday Addams has always been an icon for me and a costume idea that I have YET to try out. Definitely on my bucket list!

9. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Image Source

Charlie Brown makes EVERY season better! The most memorable scene of this movie is by far when they are trick or treating. I remember this movie becoming a tradition for me and my classmates from a very young age as it’s just one of those movies that you can’t get enough of no matter how many times you watch it. No Halloween movie is as innocent and heartwarming as this Charlie Brown Halloween special!

10. Halloween

Image Source- Dimension Films

Jamie Lee Curtis is not just famous for her iconic appearance in Freaky Friday, but for one of her very first notable roles in show biz that became such a famous, household movie. 40 years later and this movie is still one of the best Halloween movies around. This one still makes me jump and feel the chills many years later.

This is the end of my movie list! I know I missed some really amazing ones but making this list was incredibly difficult. I would love to hear what some of your guys’ favorite Halloween movies are and why (regardless of whether or not they are already on this list)! Happy Spooky Season!!!