This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

As March is Women’s History Month it is a time to celebrate the women both past and present that got us where we are today.

Emma Watson: Besides starring in Harry Potter, as Hermione Granger; in 2014 she was appointed a UN Goodwill Ambassador, helping the UN launch the HeForShe campaign, which calls men to join the feminist movement. Watson knows how imperative it is to solve the issue of gender inequality and understands that it cannot be solved without support from both genders.

Beyonce: Recently coming out as a feminist, especially with her new track “Flawless” in which she defines feminism. Since then she has performed in front of the word “feminist” in big, bold letters, thus using her platform to attract a new audience to the feminist world.

Gloria Steinem: Having been on the TCNJ campus just last week Gloria Steinem was a major leader in the feminist movement during the 60s and 70s, and the co-founder of Ms Magazine. Her prominence and work had led her to to be an inspiration for generations to come.

Malala Yousafzai: Since releasing her memoir “I am Malala,” she has become a prominent figure in advocating for equal education rights for women all around the world.

Alice Paul: Head of the National Women’s Party in 1919, was jailed for freedom in her quest for women’s suffrage, all her hard work paid off when the 19th Amendment was ratified in August of 1920.

Margaret Sanger: Advocated for birth control rights, and sexual education. Coined the term “birth control” and was responsible for opening up the first birth control clinic in the Unites States in 1916, which ultimately evolved into Planned Parenthood.

Betty Friedan: Wrote The Feminine Mystique in 1963, which some people say was the spark that began the second wave of feminism. Friedan worked her entire life for women’s equality, and coordinated the Women’s Strike For Equality in 1970. 

Susan B. Anthony: Co founder of the National Woman Suffrage Association in 1869, actions at Seneca Falls began the first wave of feminism. It was women like Susan B. Anthony that would inspire other women like Alice Paul, and eventually both of their dreams would come true with the ratification of the 19th Amendment.

Pat Head Summitt:  Basketball coach for the Tennessee Lady Vols from 1974 to 2012. Her dedication to the success of female athletics, has inspired women all around the world to pursue their athletic careers.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Currently the only woman serving on the Supreme Court, the “Notorious RBG” is one of the most influential women in the world because she is responsible for taking part in decisions that will impact the world for generations to come.

Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.