Career

Things to Know Before Starting a Small Business

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMUSA chapter.

You have to put money in to get money out. 

It is rare to have every single thing you will need to create and sell your product. Even if it is just gas money to drop off a package, you will likely have to put some amount of money into starting your business. Before diving into it blindly, make a list of expected expenses so that you know what to expect financially.

It can take a while to get into a good flow of things. 

So do not be discouraged if the business does not pick up as quickly as you thought it would. Test out what works and what does not. Find out what products your customers love and which ones do not sell as well. Ask friends and family for their honest opinions on products to help you decide what works best for your business.

Creating connections is actually really helpful! 

Wouldn’t you rather buy something from someone who takes the time to get to know you? Especially with small businesses, connections with customers is everything. Take the time to browse your customers’ profiles, get to know them, and create a meaningful relationship.

Burnout is real so pace yourself.

It can be super exciting to jump into a new endeavor and spend all your time creating and selling. No matter how much you love what you do, you have to take breaks to keep your creativity and passion flowing.

It is a lot more work than you would think! 

If you are running the business on your own, you have to be the creative director, head of marketing, content creator, social media director, financial planner, and so much more. Running a small business is more than just creating products you love.

You can do it! 

With research, passion, and faith in yourself, you can own and operate a successful small business, despite all the odds that may be stacked against you!

Build a community of other small business owners and lean on others for support.
TJ Martinez

TAMUSA '22

TJ Martinez is a junior at Texas A&M University- San Antonio studying Education. She works as a music photographer and music journalist. You can view her work at tjmartinezphotography.com. She also owns and operates a small business, TJsClays, where she creates unique polymer clay earrings.
Lanie is a junior at Texas A&M University-San Antonio majoring in Communications with a minor in English. She is a passionate journalist with interests in lifestyle, entertainment, and enjoys creative writing on the side. When she's not typing away on her computer, you can find her updating the Her Campus TAMUSA Instagram page or reading a book. To discuss her wild conspiracy theories, you can reach her at lpere034@jaguar.tamu.edu or @lanielovee on Instagram.