This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMUSA chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner, and I’d love to tell you all about the oldest folktale in San Antonio, not too far from Texas A&M- San Antonio either, only an exact 12 minutes from campus. We call it the Donkey Lady Bridge. While you go on your way to the donkey lady bridge, there’s rumors you’ll hear her weep out to you to help her; you may ask why.

Why does she want us to help her? Why would she be weeping? Anxious? You should be.

Before the name “Donkey Lady,” this lady was normal, married, and had two children. One night their house was on fire, both children died, and the husband was nowhere to be found. The lady had a disfigured face and body, a donkey-like appearance. After this, no one found her body, but they have felt and seen different objects in the area since that terrible night. I’ve been to the donkey lady bridge multiple times, but I’ve never gotten out of the car; I wouldn’t dare too. Now, but this last time I went, I got off.

You can feel the tension just driving up to the bridge, almost as if you are being watched. Some spooky sh*t has happened to me. The first time I ever went, I honked my horn because I wanted to see if she’d “hear.” A couple of seconds after I did that, I heard the loudest bang ever, as if something crashed. After that, I sped off so fast. The worst part was there is NO light but your headlights. This last time when I got off and parked, as soon as I stepped into the car, something was watching me, and I felt a weight on my body. I continued to walk on the bridge and went through paths they have nearby. Coming back walking over that bridge, my legs felt resistant, slightly pulling. The next morning I saw that I had a flat and scratches on my car door. 

After that night, I swore I was never going back, and I haven’t been since. Rumor has it, there is a hotline you can call on Halloween, someone will answer or they won’t. Real or not, something haunts that bridge. Lots of people experience all types of paranormal things. I recommend visiting the donkey lady bridge with a group of friends, especially at night & try to stay as calm as possible! Visit the Donkey Lady Bridge… if you dare.

Kayla juarez

TAMUSA '23

Empower women
Lanie is a junior at Texas A&M University-San Antonio majoring in Communications with a minor in English. She is a passionate journalist with interests in lifestyle, entertainment, and enjoys creative writing on the side. When she's not typing away on her computer, you can find her updating the Her Campus TAMUSA Instagram page or reading a book. To discuss her wild conspiracy theories, you can reach her at lpere034@jaguar.tamu.edu or @lanielovee on Instagram.