So You Want To Garden? Here Is Where You Can Start!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMUSA chapter.

The experience of growing food with one’s own hands is an appealing endeavor, especially from the perspective of a college student. It’s a chance to build upon important skills with the reward of healthy food you don’t have to pay for. However, I noticed a trend when discussing gardening with my fellow college peers: even if it may be something desirable, many choose not to pursue it, and it’s not hard to see why.

Often, when we think of gardens, we imagine spread-out arrays of lush plants with lots of outdoor space. ‘To be able to get to that point,  means to have expertise and lots of time, space, energy, and money; all things many students don’t have ample supply in. However, I was determined to find out ways students can approach gardening on the right foot, without being intimidated by it.

I reached out to David Rodriguez, the County Extension Agent and Horticulturist of the Texas A&M Agrilife Extension Services and I asked him what makes gardening so desirable, but equally so daunting. He said, “It’s work, hard, and can be dirty. However, it is very good and healthy for your mind, soul, and persona.”

I asked him to help clear some of the hesitancy in approaching gardening. It turns out, spending lots of money should not be seen as an expected outcome of gardening, but a consequence of poor planning. Some advice he gives to first-time gardeners is to avoid impulse purchases to prevent overspending.

“Purchase from a local independent nursery [and] have a plan before you purchase and plant.”

This way, similar to other facets of life, budgeting and preparedness before purchases allows for controlled spending. To aid in the planning process, Rodriguez encourages students to reach out to a Certified Nursery Professional in your state, to help guide you in finding the right plants. 

Considering many students live in small spaces, growing a garden doesn’t seem at all possible, but Rodriguez disagrees. He points out that space isn’t a hindrance to successful gardening. All you really need is “sun, nutrition, and a good-sized container that drains well, with premium potting mix.” It is also important to grow certain plants at the correct seasons, of course. 

So, where do you begin? There are several websites to visit and books you can read to help guide you. Rodriguez recommends visiting the Aggie Horticulture website, where you can find information on a variety of gardening tips. This includes detailed how-to’s in growing dozens of fruits and vegetables, guides on topics like composting and plant health, and even programs you can join. 

In some closing tips, Rodriguez says that those who still consider gardening intimidating should give it at least “Spring and a Fall and follow the Extension Service guidelines or get hands-on experience as a volunteer.” He reiterates, “all you need is patience and a gardening mentor.” 

Gardening isn’t easy, but like other skills, practice makes perfect. This way, as a beginner, you can know you have experts and sources to reach out to for advice in becoming an expert. By the time you graduate, gardening will be another skill among many others at your disposal.

___ 

David Rodriguez describes Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Services as the “educational outreach arm of The Land Grant University: Texas A&M.” Rodriguez also conducts landscape and seasonal gardening presentations, plant trial demonstrations in support of the Texas Superstar Plant Program, and Green Industry Professionals and Youth with the emphasis of Earth-Kind Environmental Stewardship

If you are looking to join in their programs or need answers to your questions, visit the linked websites, or email David Rodriguez at dhrodriguez@ag.tamu.edu

Here is a link to another Her Campus article that details growing a vegetable garden: https://www.hercampus.com/school/quinnipiac/how-grow-vegetable-garden-college

Aisha is a sophomore studying Biology with a concentration in Zoology at Texas A&M University-San Antonio. When she's not cramming for her next exam, she likes to spend her time sketching or reading.
Lanie is a junior at Texas A&M University-San Antonio majoring in Communications with a minor in English. She is a passionate journalist with interests in lifestyle, entertainment, and enjoys creative writing on the side. When she's not typing away on her computer, you can find her updating the Her Campus TAMUSA Instagram page or reading a book. To discuss her wild conspiracy theories, you can reach her at lpere034@jaguar.tamu.edu or @lanielovee on Instagram.