This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMUSA chapter.

Every year one of my New Year’s resolutions is to read more books than the year prior. So, I set a goal of how many books to read each year and I increase it a bit as time goes on. I add books to my list whenever I see something I might like at the bookstore, Tik Tok, Twitter, or just recommendations from friends. These are some of my favorite books that I’ve read this year so far. 

The Invisible Life of Addie Larue By V. E. Schwab 4.9/5

If you are on ‘Booktok’, then most likely you have seen this book being talked about a lot, and for good reason. I cried my eyes out to this book and I have already read it twice since the year started. The book follows Addie who has been cursed to be forgotten by everyone she meets. The minute she’s out of their sight they have no recollection of ever seeing her, she can’t even say her actual name anymore. The story goes back and forth between the present time and the adventures she’s had over the years since she’s been alive for more than a century. She finally meets a guy who remembers her and the story takes off from there. 

Favorite quote: “Books, she has found, are a way to live a thousand lives–or to find strength in a very long one.”

I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika Sánchez 4.8/5

This book came for my whole neck because I could relate to so many things that reminded me that I’m not alone. Julia is the main character of the book. After her sister, Olga dies in an accident her family depends on her to mend everything even though she is struggling with depression. Her mom goes out of her way to compare her to her sister and how she is a failure. Throughout the book, Julia finds stuff out about her sister while also trying to navigate how to live without her. 

Favorite quote: “How do we tie our shoes, brush our hair, drink coffee, wash the dishes, and go to sleep, pretending everything is fine? How do we laugh and feel happiness despite the buried things growing inside? How can we do that day after day?”

Grown Book by Tiffany D. Jackson 5/5

I honestly can’t describe this book. Just read it. This book was so intense and it took me a few days because I kept putting it down to let all the information sink in. This book discusses so many serious topics that left me speechless at times. The book follows Enchanted Jones, she wakes up to find herself in the middle of a murder scene. However, as they are trying to find out who killed Korey Fields we also learn about Enchanted’s Experience in the music industry and all the problems she faced. 

Favorite Quote: “So remember, Sweet Pea, just ’cause someone got a roof, don’t make it a home”

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller 4.7/5 

The book takes place during the time of the Trojan War. It’s about two princes who form a friendship that potentially could turn into so much more. The book shows us pure, raw, and strong love from two people that are so young. I have never been so devastated after reading a book but it was heartbreakingly beautiful.

Favorite Quote: “I could recognize him by touch alone, by smell; I would know him blind, by the way, his breaths came and his feet struck the earth. I would know him in death, at the end of the world.”

More books I’ve read this year: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, Aristotle, and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz, One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus, The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet

**Before deciding on reading any of these books please check the Content and TW because they all include sensitive topics. **

Hello Everyone! My name is Lori Day. I am currently a Senior double majoring in Nursing and English with a minor in Legal Studies.
Lanie is a junior at Texas A&M University-San Antonio majoring in Communications with a minor in English. She is a passionate journalist with interests in lifestyle, entertainment, and enjoys creative writing on the side. When she's not typing away on her computer, you can find her updating the Her Campus TAMUSA Instagram page or reading a book. To discuss her wild conspiracy theories, you can reach her at lpere034@jaguar.tamu.edu or @lanielovee on Instagram.