3 Tips On How To Stay Engaged In Asynchronous Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMUSA chapter.

With the semester being about midway through, you might have gotten used to the format of the class. However, if you find yourself getting behind from the lack of engagement that often comes with remote learning and an asynchronous class format. If you are anything like me, asynchronous classes are not your ideal format of learning. Independent coursework can often feel intimidating and it can be hard to take time for a class that doesn’t have a designated time. Here are some tips to help you get into the flow of asynchronous courses! 

Mark up your calendar

Having any kind of calendar either digitally or physically that you can fill up with any assignments or tests can help a lot. I find that going through the syllabus and marking my calendar with all of the coursework due in advance helps me remember as time goes on. Of course, it’s never too late in the semester to start filling out your calendar or to catch up with your calendar.

Keeping organized

Staying organized is something I have struggled with a lot especially when it comes to managing my asynchronous course load. If you like keeping physical copies of your work, I suggest printing out anything needed for the class and storing it in a binder or notebook. Organizing your workspace also helps a lot. It’s hard to focus when your school environment is also in your environment, but just like with keeping up with your calendar, it’s never too late in the semester to organize. 

Choose a time that works for you

I find that picking a day to complete that week’s course load helped me keep my focus and motivation up. If you have both asynchronous and synchronous classes, it might help to plan to get work done for your asynchronous classes on the same days you have class meetings for other classes. This depends on your schedule and how you focus best, but I found my asynchronous classes seem to have much more structure when I plan my time used for it in the same way my synchronous classes are planned. 

I hope this helps you all when it comes to passing your asynchronous course and good luck ladies!

I've lived in Texas my whole life, and went to Stevens High School, and was in the color guard program there. I learned a lot about self-expression and teamwork. Some of my interests include style and baking. I love hanging out with my friends, and just being around people. I'm attending TAMUSA for my bachelor's in Education. My goal is to provide positivity and an open invitation to self-expression through this platform
Lanie is a junior at Texas A&M University-San Antonio majoring in Communications with a minor in English. She is a passionate journalist with interests in lifestyle, entertainment, and enjoys creative writing on the side. When she's not typing away on her computer, you can find her updating the Her Campus TAMUSA Instagram page or reading a book. To discuss her wild conspiracy theories, you can reach her at lpere034@jaguar.tamu.edu or @lanielovee on Instagram.