alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your Enneagram Type as a TAMU Tradition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Note from the President of Her Campus: This article was written by the amazing Kristen Hejl before Texas A&M posted a similar Instagram story & Twitter thread about this subject. Please enjoy the wonderful article that Kristen has wrote, and show some love by sharing it!

The Enneagram has gained recent popularity among – well, everyone. The system describes 9 distinct personality types, one of which each person is born with as their “dominant” personality. Don’t know your type? The most accurate test is the Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator (but there are plenty of free ones online as well).

1 The Reformer

Type ones are moral advocates for change. They are conscientious and have a strong sense of right and wrong. While striving to maintain high standards, ones are afraid of making mistakes, and can slip into being critical and impatient.

REPLANT 

Replant is a one-day environmental service project in the Bryan/College Station area. This yearly event provides an avenue for environmental service and action. Replant stands behind the idea of a need for change, reaching steep goals and high standards – much like our Reformer ones.

2 The Helper

Warm-hearted twos are helpful, caring, and empathetic. They can be both generous and flattering, but forget to acknowledge their own needs. Twos often do things for others to feel needed, but are unselfish, with an unconditional love for those around them.

THE BIG EVENT 

What better tradition for a two than Big Event? A whole day is dedicated serving those in our community, from painting houses to building fences. No personal agendas here – just the happiness of others.

3 The Achiever 

Threes are self assured, competent, and status-conscious. They allow their ambitiousness to fuel their drive for accomplishment, but may become too concerned with others’ opinions of them.

AGGIE RING 

An Aggie ring is a HUGE symbol of status. Having one on in an interview is considered impressive – and may even land you a job. Just like our threes, Aggie rings represent high status achieved through accomplishment.

4 The Individualist

Fours are inspired, highly-creative, and sensitive. Typically more reserved, fours tend to withhold themselves from others due to feelings of vulnerability. Because they are self-aware, they typically have problems with self-indulgences and self-pity.

AGGIE TERMINOLOGY 

Gig ’Em, Howdy, and Whoop, the holy trinity of Aggie slang. Aggie terminology isn’t found anywhere else, it started local and stays local. Creativity was no doubt involved in coining these terms, and have you seen the inspiration caused by a “WHOOP” at a football game?

5 The Investigator

Type fives are able to concentrate and focus on complex ideas. They are alert, innovative, and often ahead of their time. When fives become preoccupied with their thoughts, they can be high-strung, detached, and intense.

YELL LEADERS 

Our Fightin’ Texas Aggie Yell Leaders are all capable of some compound, complex yells. They stay on their toes during events, always ready to lead us in spirit. The behaviors of a Yell Leader can often be described as intense, which is exactly why I paired them up with fives.

6 The Loyalist

Sixes are the committed, security-oriented type. They are often, hard working, responsible, and excellent troubleshooters. However, they can also become defensive and anxious – running on stress while complaining about it.

12TH MAN 

Standing through an entire football game definitely takes commitment – something the 12th man does not lack. The 12th man shows up to every game ready to work hard in supporting their team. Even off the field, the 12th man will defend their team through anything.

7 The Enthusiast 

Extroverted and optimistic, sevens are often playful, high-spirited, and practical. Because they are spontaneous, they often misapply talents becoming scattered and burned out. Sevens are typically impatient and impulsive, becoming exhausted by being constantly busy.

FISH CAMP 

Fish Camp counselors are some of the most energetic, excited people you’ll meet in your freshman year. They are high-spirited like sevens, and often are down for spontaneous game nights post-camp. Being a DG parent is a lot of work though – counselors tend to be tired from their busy schedules.

8 The Challenger

Type eights are strong, assertive, and protective. They can be very self-confident, sometimes slipping into ego-centric. When eights feel they must control their environment, they can become very confrontational and intimidating. 

THE CORPS OF CADETS 

The Corps of Cadets tends to get a bad rep, but in reality, there are a lot of strong and impressive cadets. From physical to mental ability, these guys and gals are constantly pushing themselves to be better and do better. On the other hand, some of these cadets become domineering or aggressive – just like an eight.

9 The Peacemaker

Stable nines are trusting and accepting. They can be too willing to go along with others to keep the peace, becoming complacent. They are typically creative and optimistic, always supporting those around them.

MEMORIAL STUDENT CENTER 

The Memorial Student Center is one constant good in the life of Texas A&M students. More than a building, the MSC provides academic, culture, and arts programs to improve the student experience. The staff is welcoming and accommodating, giving off major nine vibes.

Kristen Hejl is a junior Special Education major at Texas A&M University. Her passions include food, emojis, dogs, and coffee. 9 times out of 10 you can find her following the Corps of Cadets around with a camera.
Howdy! My name is Melanie and I am currently a Senior Human Resources major and the Chapter Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Texas A&M University! I started off as an event planner for our chapter and was so excited to become a Chapter Correspondent! In my free time I like to procrastinate my studies, buy too much at Target, and frequently visit my local Chick-Fil-A Thanks and Gig 'em