Why you should visit San Miguel de Allende

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

The first week back at school marks the end of spring break, which means it’s time to start thinking about summer plans. Planning a trip can be stressful when there are so many different places to choose from, but I hope to make that a little bit easier by explaining why San Miguel is the spot to be this summer. Visiting San Miguel may not be the first place people think about when traveling to Mexico. The popular beach towns like Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, and Cancún are first to come to mind, but I am here to tell you why a mountainous town in Mexico is the place to be.

The art

San Miguel is known as an art city, a slight change from the typical beach vacation you would expect. Nonetheless, it is worth visiting. There is an array of museums to visit, but that is not the only kind of art that makes up San Miguel. First, the architecture is like no other place in the world, even the Condé Nast Traveler magazine voted it the “Best Small City in the World” multiple times, so it must be good right? The buildings are representative of baroque architecture, decked out in vibrant, brilliant colors, nothing like you have ever seen before. Imagine walking on the cobble stone streets, and every building in passing is a different color. There are reds, pinks, yellows, blues, some covered in murals or even plants, emphasizing the eccentricity of the city. There are locals selling hats, toys, trinkets, and more, while people in passing are dressed in unique clothing that mimics the small city vibes.

The Fashion

If you have a knack for fashion, San Miguel is the place to show off your unique taste because people are dressed in a variety of clothing styles. During the warmer months, like spring and summer, day-time outfits range from colorful maxi dresses to more of a boho style. There is even a TikTok page dedicated to the stylish people walking the streets of San Miguel. So where is everyone getting their clothes? It is hard to say exactly where, but the shopping in San Miguel is incredible and there is no doubt that some pieces come directly from local stores. There are some high end stores, and there are also some affordable stores that have so much to offer. If traveling to San Miguel sounds like something you may want to do, stop by Thiza, a boot store full of one of a kind, colorful boots. Then, put on your walking boots because San Miguel is known as a walking town.

The restaurants

Hopefully the art and fashion has caught your eye, but there is even more to offer. San Miguel is known for their rooftop bars and restaurants that overlook the city. It is not just one, two, or even three places, but many places have terraces that make the visit so special. The best part about these views is the view of the Parroquia, which is a church in the heart of San Miguel. It was the most beautiful building I had ever seen, and if you get the opportunity to visit, don’t miss out on the chance to take a walk inside. To give a little bit of background, the church was built in the 1800’s by a self-taught architect named Don Zeferino Gutiérrez. He was inspired by the gothic look of European architecture, which is why this building is such a novelty in Mexico. Aside from the views seen from restaurants all around, there is a mix of all kinds of foods, and one place in particular is very popular, and it is called Quince. Quince is an eclectic restaurant with a mix of Mexican, American, and even seafood. Enjoy food and drinks here, and if you stop by on Sunday you will even see a tight rope act!

I am a junior at Texas A&M majoring in communications with a minor in journalism. I love spending time with friends, family, and my two dogs. I love going to coffee shops, working out, and reading!