Why Transfer Students Should Join Organizations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Texas A&M University can be a big change to anyone whether you’ve been at another university before, or spent the last two years at a local college. You will hear people tell you frequently that getting involved in organizations will help you get through college, but since this one is so dang huge, where do you begin?

When selecting an organization, look for one where you can be you at your greatest potential. Trying to find a place to fit in is hard enough, but if you’re trying too hard, chances are that organization isn’t going to make you happy.

Baylee Duhon, a junior sociology major, said “I think that because there’s a lot of people on campus, being in an organization gives you common people to be around and build a sisterhood with.”

Usually, it’s a good rule not to judge by first impressions, but if you already feel yourself acting differently around other people or pushing back a quality of you that makes you–well YOU, then eliminate that option. 

Then you have to ask yourself a couple questions: ‘Why am I joining these particular organizations? Is it to make new friends? Or is it to gain experience and add something to my resume?’

“I think it’s important to join organizations because it allows you to have an outlet and build connections with others that are away from academics,” said Aurora Silva, a junior interdisciplinary studies major. “You can meet new friends, get more help with school work, and it’s a great way to get involved and help out.”

Silva also said she joined organizations like Omega Phi Alpha because she wanted to give back to the community and build bonds that are going help throughout her college career.

Sometimes you’re going to find organizations that you like at first and then later decide maybe it isn’t what you want anymore. That’s okay too. College is about learning and finding yourself. It doesn’t make you less of a person if you aren’t in a certain sorority or if you choose to leave a group. If you are sacrificing happiness, then it is not for you. If you feel like it is a waste of your time, it is not for you. If it doesn’t excite you, it is NOT for you.

And that’s okay

So now it’s time to evaluate yourself: What makes you different? What do you truly like to do? What is something that you wouldn’t mind taking a few hours out of your day for? As a transfer, you only have a few years here. Make each of them count. Get involved. Trust in this and you cannot go wrong, because chances are there’s a club that perfect for you!

Ruby Majano is an Agricultural Communiations and Journalism major at Texas A&M University. She loves music, poetry and story telling. Ruby aspires to be a print journalist and dreams of one day writing for the New York Times.