DAPHNE RUBIN-VEGA as Daniela, STEPHANIE BEATRIZ as Carla and DASCHA POLANCO as Cuca in Warner Bros. Pictures’ “IN THE HEIGHTS,” a Warner Bros. Pictures release.
Photo by Macall Polay / Warner Bros

Why 5 Different Cultural Dance Groups at Texas A&M Matter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.
  1. The Aggie Wranglers:

This team was founded in 1984 and is a staple for Aggie traditions with their country and western dancing. This is representative of the Aggie culture and of the past Aggies. Some special moves include: “the Donna”, the “Jesse flip” and many dips and lifts.

2. Fade to Black Dance Ensemble:

Founded in 1991 by young African-American women, Fade to Black Dance Ensemble is a culturally diverse group which is known for hip-hop but also include styles such as Jazz, Tap, Lyrical, Pointe, African, etc. The number of members is usually around 55!

3. Freestyle Underground Street Dancers:

Representing street dancers all over the world and the Hip Hop dance culture in Bryan/College Station area with workshops and small group teaching sessions, this group has a lot for people interested in learning. Workshops and group lessons are really interactive and special for those with a lack of experience.

4. Salsa Fusion Latin Dance Company:

This dance group represents Latin culture and the dance style of salsa. They have many performances as well as workshops and lessons. Some of the group lessons can be paid or free! Having free lessons is an easy way to connect with the community! Something super cool is the lessons are lead by professional dancers!

5. The Texas A&M China Hong Dance Society:

It is a non-profit promoting Chinese culture and dance. It is also representing dances from different Chinese ethnic groups with a combination of traditional and modern dance. Displays of traditional dance are extremely important because they connect the modern styles to the traditional form and represent history and the importance of remembering history.

Emma Katelyn Nguyen is the treasurer at the Her Campus at TAMU chapter. She oversees the financial statements and accounts for Her Campus and manages member dues, cost of events, etc. Beyond Her Campus, Emma does research in neuropharmacology, volunteers at the hospital, and occasionally walks in fashion shows. She is studying Public Health for her degree. She one day hopes to become a doctor with effective communication skills and writing skills supported by the skills learned with the Her Campus family. Emma hopes to create articles that are fun light-hearted college experiences. She loves talking about culture and experiencing different kinds of culture. Along with culture, Emma enjoys traveling and gaining new perspectives to life.