This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

The 2016 Presidential election has been one of the most controversial campaigns I have ever seen. Granted, I have only participated in one other presidential election in my life (I was a new 18-year-old, so even then, I probably had no idea what I was thinking), but this one takes the cake.

Those who watched the debates already knew their vote, but I honestly had no idea. As I watched the final presidential debate, I thought “what if no one voted?”

It is 100 percent possible for people not to vote at all. Sure, it most likely won’t happen, but it is a slight possibility.

So if no one voted, what would happen? 

Well, the United States has the Electoral College. They vote, and sometimes they can overtrump the popular vote of the people. 

The Electoral College overran the popular vote four times in history, according to the History Channel. The latest was when Al Gore won the popular vote, but George W. Bush won the Electoral College’s vote. Ultimately, the Electoral College has the power in the end. 

But if the Electoral College is unsuccessful to vote for a president, the responsibility would fall with the House of Representatives, then the Senate. Hopefully, it won’t come to this. But, who knows? Anything could happen. I mean look who our candidates are.

You might say that this election is rigged if the popular candidate does not win the election, but the founding fathers designed the electoral college that it may be a solid compromise.

“The press has created a rigged system,” said Donald Trump. Well, sir, the only reason you are the Republican candidate is because of the press. Trump draws attention to himself, and it makes up for extraordinary content.

I can see why the media flocks to Trump. He is entertaining. He makes me livid, and all I want to do is talk about his unnecessary comments. 

Trump, to me, does not speak eloquently at all. He is lewd, and his antics are unprofessional. But, that is what makes ratings go up.

Trump is a strong candidate. In a sense, he knows how to entertain people. He is a prominent businessman who knows what he wants, but the United States of America is not a company. It is a country— a freaking country! 

All he does is blame other people and denies all the claims. He said it was Clinton’s campaign who started all these claims women have said that he allegedly assaulted them.

“Nobody has more respect for women than I do,” said Trump.  You could hear the laughter from the audience. He belittles women. Women have fought a long time to be where we are today. I do not care that Clinton is a woman. But also, I don’t know if Hillary Clinton is the best representative of the women population.

But, if I’m going to bash Trump, I might as well bash Clinton. Please, let’s talk about these emails again, and again, and again. 

Clinton is a liar. She lied about her countless emails. She lied about Benghazi. Her husband and his sexual past are haunting her while she tries to cover it up. Clinton’s health, her appearance or any other flaw she might have come into speculation.  But, when you are running for the most important role in American society, you are going to be under immense speculation. 

I do not think anyone is going to give up this email drama. She is a liar, we get it. But, aren’t all politicians anyway.

I see my bias come into play with this election, but everyone has an opinion.

Both candidates are not ideal. I have no confidence in one. It scares me; the future of the United States is in the hands of these two. I hope that this country will be able to stand behind whoever is president, and I hope we are able to stay strong through the next four years. It’s just four years.

I think this election is hard for millennials. This is the first time most of us have been closely following the presidential election. And, it is a mess. Older generations blame millennials for everything that’s wrong with the world, but I’m pretty sure it’s the generations before us who have screwed this one up for us.

Do you really have to vote? Yes. Even if you have no idea go out there and vote. Try your best to research the candidates, and vote for whoever you feel is the best for the position.

Does my vote count? It sort of counts. All of America is not depending on you, but it is your civil duty as an American citizen to vote. 

I am not telling you who to vote forI’m just telling you to vote. If you don’t vote, then you can’t complain who wins. Why give up your right to vote when people fought for this right?

The voice of the people will be heard on Election Day. Whether you will accept the outcome or not, the United States of America will have a new president. 

Election Day is Tuesday, November 8. You can vote in the Memorial Student Center if you are registered to vote in College Station.

Go vote so that we don’t have to worry about what would happen if no one voted.

Sydney Elise is a senior at Texas A&M (A-WHOOP) majoring in telecommunication media studies. She loves traveling, reading books, and watching movies especially Anchorman. She aspires to one day be in the news broadcasting industry, and see the world. Stay classy College Station. T's&G's