What to do When Your S/O Doesn’t Like Horror Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

BOO!!!! Did I scare you? It’s finally the best month of the year! It’s spooky spooky (yes I did say it twice, I’m EXCITED) month and I can finally justify the change of my Twitter handle from normal to a spooky pun (even though I’ve had it changed since the first of November, no shame here).

You know what the best part of October is? All the new horror movies coming to theatres and all the throwbacks playing on the tv channels. If you’re not watching all the HalloweenTown movies and both Twitches…I’m sorry, but we can’t be friends. The second best part is the mark of cold weather! Unless you live in Texas like me, then you have to wait another few weeks just to get out of the 90’s. That’s besides the point. Grab a cuddle buddy! Grab a blanket! Put on your favorite horror movie and enjoy the thrill of the spooks! Unless you’re like me and you happen to be dating a guy who refuses by all measure to sit through a horror movie, because he’s afraid of the jump scares. Well then, buckle up and put on your big kid pants, because YOU have just become the “man” of the house! Pay the bills! Dedicate a room in the house as your “man cave”! Dump them and go find a person who can take the chills and dance in cemeteries and raise the nearest corpse to celebrate your new found spooky love or, realistically, find another spooky date to go on instead and compromise! 

Here are a few of my favorite spooky dates when I can’t convince my boyfriend to watch a horror movie with me:

1. Pumpkin Carving

Personally, this one is my favorite. There’s nothing like shoving your hand wrist deep in the guts of a pumpkin and giving it a face that probably doesn’t look like the picture you were referencing… oops? At least, you can get some seeds to bake for those witching hour (midnight) munchies.

2. Take it Back to the Classics

The good thing about super old horror movies? They’re more comedy than anything. See that scary monster? Well look up and just to the right and you’ll see the strings attached to the puppet. Or maybe you’d prefer to focus on the poor poor main character that does nothing but scream or cry in the most annoying ways. It’s a perfect way to get into the spooky spirit, learn something about classical films, and enjoy them with your significant other without freaking them out!

3. Ditch Them 

Significant other holding you back from your Halloween dreams? Take your friends! What fun is October if you can’t share it with your friends too? This way you still get your thrill of the month with popcorn throwing screams that leave your blood running cold without having to burden your significant other with fear they don’t enjoy. They can’t all be adrenaline seekers like us!

4. Pumpkin Patch Picnic

I would like to take credit for this idea, but actually I ran out of ideas after bullet three. So say thank you to Chandlar’s friends (“thank you Chandlar’s friends”). Who doesn’t love cute picnics? Spice it up a bit by adding pumpkins. Maybe throw in some pumpkin spice lattes! Pumpkin spice candles! Bring a cute pumpkin print blanket! 

5. Halloween Parties

I have two words for you. COUPLES. COSTUMES. Nothing says I love you like dressing up as your favorite spooky duo and showing off to all your friends your costume making skills. Although, be sure not to choose something too scary or they might jump at their own reflection.

6. Spooky Foods

This one will get your creative juices flowing… or maybe just your mouth watering. For a small fee of sanity in exchange for some rad baking skills, you can head on over to pinterest for some ordinary food turned into Halloween treat ideas. I did this once for a small gathering of friends and we made pumpkin barf (guacamole spilling from a carved pumpkin), mummy rice krispy treats, and zombie finger pretzels. The only spooky part for me, though, was how scary bad my decorating skills were.

I hope you enjoy these spooooky dates and make sure to remind your significant other that you love them despite their fears!

Hello! I'm a Senior English Major from Texas A&M University, and the current Editor-in-Chief and Co-Correspondent for HC TAMU. At first glance I just seem like a normal gal in her twenties. At second glance... ok yeah nothing changes. Aspiring Science Fiction Author with no time to write. Started from Wattpad, now we're here.
Howdy! My name is Melanie and I am currently a Senior Human Resources major and the Chapter Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Texas A&M University! I started off as an event planner for our chapter and was so excited to become a Chapter Correspondent! In my free time I like to procrastinate my studies, buy too much at Target, and frequently visit my local Chick-Fil-A Thanks and Gig 'em