Wes Van Steenbergen, BYX President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Selfless service is an Aggie core value that describes the character of Beta Upsilon Chi and its President, Wes Van Steenbergen.  BYX is a social fraternity comprised of Christian men seeking brotherhood in Christ through camaraderie and community service. Wes, current president of Texas A&M’s “Bucks” (Brotherhood Under Christ) chapter, is a junior sports management major from Carrollton, Texas. He shared how often he is asked whether he is in sports management to be “a coach or the next Mark Cuban”. Instead, Wes aspires to manage sports marketing and endorsements within the career field of business and sports. In addition, he shares an interest in becoming a sports agent, as he is thinking about law school and is “open to any” opportunity in the near future.

It was during high school that Wes heard about Beta Upsilon Chi and its mission. He continuously heard about the ever-growing organization through his best friend (current Oklahoma University BYX member), older Aggie sibling, and the Impact retreat. Wes decided to rush his freshman year and has since then, been an active member throughout his undergraduate career. Last November marked his induction as President and Van Steenbergen looks forward to this next calendar year leading BYX. Aside from being a student and President of the fraternity, he has been a camp counselor for the past two summers at Christian camp, Sky Ranch.

Texas A&M Bucks is partnered with Bridge Ministries, a Christian nonprofit charity serving the underprivileged communities in the Bryan/ College Station area through its food pantry, ESL classes, and Bible study. Wes plans to lead BYX in putting their faith into action through hosting Island Party (April 22, 2016) and participating in Songfest. Both events will fundraise proceeds for the Bridge Ministries. Furthermore, Wes plans on initiating more service projects and outreach on campus that can “more tangibly affect” the TAMU community. He intends on sharing the Gospel in a positive, selfless manner, as he mentioned contrary to the recent example of infamous, campus evangelist Brother Jed. 

Community alone is a value Van Steenbergen expressed he will take away when he graduates. He explained, “a house divided against itself cannot stand” Mark 3:25. Wes is thankful for the community and memories he has through BYX and at A&M, and hopes to further mentor and serve others.

Howdy, I am a Freshman Finance major from Dallas, Texas! I am a volleyball and tennis enthusiast, food connoisseur, and learner of new languages. In the near future, I hope to work towards a career in the fashion or information technology industry.