Weekend Travel Tips for College Girls on the Go!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

College towns have all the glamorous appeal you think they’d have. A strip where everyone goes to sketchy bars Thursday-Saturday. A run-down mall trapped in the ’80s. A gentrified area made in an attempt to appease the wealthy suburban students. While I love my college town, any chance I get to go to a big city I am THERE!!! In my time making weekend trips to Dallas, Houston, Austin, and more I’ve picked up some tips to make the most of traveling in college!

1. Invest in a good tote bag

When you’re traveling for only two or three days you don’t need to pack a TON, so having a functional tote bag you can throw some clothes, makeup, chargers, and snacks in can make traveling so much easier! My bag is always full of rose water toner, Cheez-Its, and lip balm. Only the essentials ladies!!

I love simple totes like this, but make sure to get a bag that fits your personal style!

2. Dry shampoo is your friend

I personally use the Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Dry Shampoo. I’ve lived by this stuff since my high school cheer days. A little bit of dry shampoo can go a long way when you’re running from city to city in a short amount of time! The less time you have to spend getting ready on your weekend getaway, the more you can enjoy wherever you are and whoever you’re with!

3. Make friends outside of your hometown

I have friends from all over Texas, which makes it so much easier to travel because I always know I can find a buddy willing to go back to their hometown! Meet some people from different parts of where you’re from, and who knows, maybe you’ll get to spend time with their family instead of scrambling to find somewhere to stay. I love experiencing new places through my friends who have grown up there because it adds an extra view I never would have seen on my own!

4. Wake up early to beat the traffic

I absolutely cannot stand driving through Downtown Dallas (or anywhere for that matter) during rush hour. Waking up at the crack of dawn can be hard, but it’s so rewarding to reach your destination early in the day so you can make the most of your weekend adventures. Being diligent in setting an alarm and knowing how long it takes to travel to your destination can help you get the most out of your trip.

5. Do your homework/projects ahead of time!!

THIS is the golden rule to making the most of a weekend trip in college. Having to worry about last-minute assignments or group projects can completely ruin the whole mood for a trip. While it may not always be possible, it’s always best to get as much work done beforehand so you don’t have looming deadlines in the back of your mind while you’re out trying to have fun!

College is one of the strangest, most wonderful times of your life. I honestly don’t know when I’ll get the opportunity to spontaneously travel around Texas again, so I take advantage of the free time I have! If you have the opportunity to explore Texas or somewhere else, then go out and explore while you’re young!

Howdy! I am a Senior International Studies major on the Politics & Diplomacy track with a minor in Spanish. I write articles for readers to learn (and laugh) from my experiences, but also to connect with other college women at Texas A&M. I love to travel, write, paint, and spend time with friends!